zipp 101 review

capeofstorms

These wheels should be good, but there is another option. I was interested in getting theses, but after a bit of investigation found that the SRAM S30 race is basically the same wheel, for a lot cheaper. SRAM and ZIPP is the same company, so both wheels use the same rims and very similar hubs. The SRAM wheels are build in the east and ZIPP in the USA, but thats the only difference. My S30's weighed 1530g and thast exactly what the ZIPP 101's claimed weigh is.

The SRAM wheels cost around R7000 and the Zipps around R11000. No brainer really.

HED Ardennes. Nearly 200g lighter. Similar price. Wiiiide profile makes for a pretty floaty ride (albeit not quite as tubby like as the HED publicity suggests).

These wheels should be good, but there is another option. I was interested in getting theses, but after a bit of investigation found that the SRAM S30 race is basically the same wheel, for a lot cheaper. SRAM and ZIPP is the same company, so both wheels use the same rims and very similar hubs. The SRAM wheels are build in the east and ZIPP in the USA, but thats the only difference. My S30's weighed 1530g and thast exactly what the ZIPP 101's claimed weigh is.

The SRAM wheels cost around R7000 and the Zipps around R11000. No brainer really.

I see CRC is selling the SRAM S30 for R3068.54. Is this correct?

Your investigation isn't to good! Two very different wheel sets. 101's have the new 2010 Zipp hubs , same as the new 303's or 404's etc. Plus they are built into a alu. rim , not carbon.

Either way... I have ridden the ZIPP 101 and they are waaaaay over-priced.

There are much better wheels for half the price

101 - the s30 uses a alu rim wih exactly the same torodial profile as the zipp 101. I should know i had a set. So ill dismiss your comment. And i did say they use similar hubs. Not a very good response at all.

Capeofstorms- The price you see on crc is per wheel and not for the set.

101 - the s30 uses a alu rim wih exactly the same torodial profile as the zipp 101. I should know i had a set. So ill dismiss your comment. And i did say they use similar hubs. Not a very good response at all.

Capeofstorms- The price you see on crc is per wheel and not for the set.

Hi Desmond

Did a scan through the hub and saw that you did own a set of SRAM s30s, but you sold it very quickly again. Was there a reason? With what did you replace it?

Never even rode it. I sold it as part of a deal with my frame. I wanted them to race with, but seeing that racing season was still a while away I rather decided to sell my frame with the wheels to buy a new frame instead. I will probably get tubbies tom race with again.

All the reviews I have read on these wheels are good, so you cant go wrong with them.