Final team for worlds

Groot Lem

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

okay okay.. SA is F**ked up.. Minnette Naude is not going to worlds, spoke to her over the weekend. She feels that she is not yet ready as this is her first season back on the bike. Also she has exams during that time period. So Taylorchick tell Ronel she still has a shot.

As for our 200kg boyfriend and parental figure selectors, lets just not go there!! i say get the right people for the job who are not in anyway related to the cyclists, ie: managers, husbands wifes ect.

people like Fullard, JP van Zyl, Steven Oberholtzer, Chunky( if he would),

what say you? 

Let's view the recent change from SACF to CSA as that of Dictatorship to Democracy. If you view history with these happenings you will find a couple of things

1. Some confusion as this sudden freedom brings out much debate and little immediate answers.

2. The oppurtunist Capitalists that will step in and use the new insecure system to gain as much advantage as possible( eg East Block Tycoons)

3. Some old gaurd aspect that hold on to the "old regime" and way of things and somehow get thmeselves dug in to some place of descision making( not sure, but maybe this is the aspect faced in this topic of discussion)

Some new democracies become farces and fall into new dictatorships with control from both the Old regime types dug into various backround roles as well as the Capitalists who have ridden the wave of oppertunity and make their buck.

What to do? Any actions do not pay off as action must equal cause.  Mass action in cycling equals= Rec riders. Dedicated action and involvement= Lic top level riders.

Discussion on the Hub okay, but only after YOU have got involved, participated and ask the questions at the relevant places and then aiming to gather feeling or additional info from other sources( forum on The Hub).

It is a shlep, I know, but the best way.  a while back Andrew went to great trouble to mobilise a riders association which would have had a designated spot on all descision making meetings, etc. Not enough teams, managers and riders came to the party. So we let it slip and gave a way out for the Old regime types or any possible new Capitalists. CSA( Carinus, David and Lawrence) invited and gave us the chance, but we did nothing with it. And if you say you did not know about it, you answer your own question on level of your involvement....

I have been to many meetings and not many talking here are involved or tried to be involved in the Elite side of the sport, but many are vocal when the sh*t hits the fan.

Are we all going to be part of the solution and help, Cherise, Yolandi, David,Bradley, etc before this happens, or run away and proctect our own little thing and then come out when we hate the next descision made and post ten pages full when it could be to late.....

Successful Democracy = Participation in it ( and we South Africans hate that.....)

But WHY if its about girl selection or racing you people are carrying on like this is the most important thing in the world.

mmmm...says alot about your point of view now doesn't it? It is very important...with a comment like that you've just said to every girl racing, your not important, what you do and your point of view doesnt mean anything. The fact that everyones making such a big deal out of it is...simply because it is important. So much for women empowerment and the future of ladies cycling.

Thank you very much punisher for sticking up for us ladies! Can I send you a box of chocolates for your appreciated comment???

What i meant was. Why 10 pages about the girls and 1 about the boys. Is dit al die jags boyfriends??

I hope they send Ronel now if Minette is not going. Then the SA girls can dice each other and we can bet on the outcome.

jagse boyfriends? dalk moet ek van hierdie discussion board afkom.

And btw. I'm a girl...deal with it!

What i meant was. Why 10 pages about the girls and 1 about the boys. Is dit al die jags boyfriends??

I hope they send Ronel now if Minette is not going. Then the SA girls can dice each other and we can bet on the outcome.
Because there is not much of an issue with the selection for the boys, Jaques Fullard & co are knowledgeable people and make sound selection decisions.

BUT

How can the ladies selection be deemed fair, unbiased and just if two of the selectors (I do believe there are only three selectors) are

1. a Team Manager of two of the girls chosen?

2 Have a personal relationship with one of the girls?

3. Personal coach of one of the girls?

4. It is in the interest of one or more of the selectors that Ronel not be part of the team.

5. the fourth girl is selected as she is already in Europe (sort of selected by default because it saves money)

How can this selection be deemed just, fair and unbiased????

How could it be deemed just and fair for some of these people to be on the board of selectors in the first place???

How can you expect them to make unbiased decision if you have people with vested interests making those selections???

This is an absolute OUTRAGE!!!!!!

Latrinus' date=' what is going on here????
[/quote']

Hello Crux,

I hope the postings around the selections have shed some light on the topic?

Remember all, selectors are elected by yourselves, thru your clubs and provinces. The only way you can change them, is to change either the constitution, or to get involved in the election of selectors.

This animal runs like a government - so you could also learn to lobby, get involved with various workings, and eventually overthrow the things you do not like.

I work as an operations person, within CSA, trying to ensure that protocols are followed, and that operational excellence is striven towards....If I had any say in selection teams, you would have seen a different result, I am sure.

If anyone needs to complain about my posting, and my irresponsible use of language, please remember I am the same cyclist/hubber/potsmoker as always - BUT you would now prefer me to be a saint?
Latrinus,

Thanks for the answer... it does shed some light, and a lot of what I have already gathered.

I, for one have a HUGE amount of respect for the thankless work that you are doing for the cyclist behind the scenes, and I hold in high regard what you have accomplished for us, the cyclists so far against huge odds!!! (and a lot of disbelieving skeptics that did not think that a skelm Rastafarian had what it takes to make a difference)

It was heartening to hear that you had no part in this travesty of justice.

I for one, am most willing to step up to the plate, hand in the air, to get involved and add my effort to affect a just and fair system.

But I do believe that a great injustice have occurred with this selection, and cannot reconcile myself that such a travesty can be allowed to have taken place and that the selectors will be allowed to get away with it...
Cruxpearl2007-08-26 14:02:59

Cruxie, I think your comments hit the nail on the head.  The actual team that gets selected is by and large a matter of opinion, but the selectors need to be independent and knowledgeable.  Difficult in this small industry - but at least forums like this give everyone an opportunity to vent their disgust or disapproval.

Given the selectors apparent lack of independence, they really need to make their selection criteria public and explain how their decision was reached.  It is not acceptable to make a decision that smacks of favouritism without putting the criteria and decision-making out in the public domain - preferably vetted by someone independent.  Basic principle of good governance - if you can't demonstrate good decision making on the end result alone, you either need to document and disclose the decision or demonstrate the the process was adequate.

I know Latrinus is trying very hard to bring some decent governance practices into what has been a "old boys" club (whether at PPA, SACF or the current combined beast CSA), and selection processes would be a great place to start.

From what I gather, there's over 5000 metres of climbing in the Elite men's race over 270km. That's a LOT of climbing, even if it is incremental (ie on a lap circuit). Lill, George and McLeod (if he rides the Vuelta beforehand) are good choices. Impey is young and super talented and has the ability to one day sparkle at a world champs. The experience will be good for him. Perry I assume is in for his TT ability and will race that along with George and be a support rider in the road race.

Seems to be a road race course that suits the strong climbers, which is possibly why Hunter declined. George was the top SA finisher at last year's worlds (in the front pack) - on a course that suited the sprinters...

What I'd like to have seen was some SA riders competing at the Beijing Test race last weekend. The Aussies sent all their top riders and are probably working out through data captured from each rider during that race who is best suited for the next Olympic Games road race and TT. Expect at least one of them to medal! Our system should be geared to be planning that far ahead, but sadly, it isn't - yet.

What a load of bull that all the clubs and provinces has the right to choose the selectors etc!!!!.

When in the last two years has there been a provincial club meeting in our province where we the clubs can have a say in the running of cycling? Simple question to CSA show us the nominations forms from CGC and GN with the nominations submitted.

The COO is fighting a battle of note but due to all the other personal issues around him he has not got the buy in from all parties as he is tramping on cozy toes of all the yes men/women in the sport.

What a disgrace both SA champions left out of the national teams. Mind you both has over many years proven themselves worthy of their achievemnts to-date.

The CSA is in a catch 22 position. The current selectors, to my knowledge, isn't paid for their work - the only way to expect a professional service is to pay a professional salary.

Having said that, the only way to fund that is to probably increase licensing fees - in which case there will be another 12 (probably more) page thread moaning about that.