Mavic Crossmax SL Freehub body replacement

TwoBob

Hi

I need a replacement freehub body for my Mavic Crossmax Sl’s as the bushing is worn – cassette rocks back and forth and there is a vibration/howling noise when freewheeling.

I replaced the freehub body about 6 months ago due to the same problem, but the fact it has worn again so soon leads me to conclude that hub inner may be worn and that I may need an oversize replacement.

I know these are available on Ebay etc, mostly from the Sates (which is where I got my previous standard size replacement while I was in the UK).

Anyone know of the best place to get a replacement locally and can anyone offer any advice on whether an oversize body may work and prevent such quick wear in the future??

I also see The Hub Doctor offers a replacement bushing solution: http://www.fuzing.com/vli/00342403b314/Hub-Doctor-Freehub-rebuild-kit-for-Mavic-FTL_S

anyone tried this option?

Have you serviced the freebody since you replaced it last,and did you also replace the lip-seal at that time?

What lube did you use when you installed the replacement body?

The eBay replacement bushing seems to last OK. As 20niner mentions above, you need to service the bushing regularly otherwise it will grind away (I try and do it once a month), especially if mud and hi pressure cleaning happens. Servicing the bushing takes just 5 minutes. I use a few drops of mineral oil as per instruction.

Have you serviced the freebody since you replaced it last,and did you also replace the lip-seal at that time?

What lube did you use when you installed the replacement body?

no and no

a few drops of mineral oil as recommended

<_<

The eBay replacement bushing seems to last OK. As 20niner mentions above, you need to service the bushing regularly otherwise it will grind away (I try and do it once a month), especially if mud and hi pressure cleaning happens. Servicing the bushing takes just 5 minutes. I use a few drops of mineral oil as per instruction.

So BigGuy you have used a replacement bushing succesfully? where did you get it from?

accept the fact i should probably be servicing the hub more often

no and no

a few drops of mineral oil as recommended

Mavic recomends a mavic freehub oil,yes it is a mineral oil,but don't think that any mineral oil will work well(for long).

I have heard of shops that use shimano mineral brake oil,this works,but only for a while,the oil degrades quickly and then the damage starts.

Get the mavic oil and service once a month.As it was said earlier,only five minutes,2 allen keys and a lappie....

:) Hub = :) Hubber.

What I use is a mix of mineral oil and a rubber specific grease so that the seal doesn't expand, the rubber grease is thick so mix it with mineral oil to make it thinner and useable.

Mavic Freehubs can be tempermental so servise them regularly

Get the Hub Doctor replacement and never look back. It replaces the crap nylon bush with a proper sealed bearing.

Thanks guys - I have the Hub Doctors replacement bushings on the way (one standard one oversize plus new rubber seal and washer - comes as a standard package).

I will try and be more diligent with the servicing going forward;

Quite why one should have to replace parts on, or service, a hub of this "quality" and price so often is perhaps a subject for another thread............... :angry:

I run a set of Hope Pro II's on mavic rims and they have worked flawlessly under far worse conditions for over 3 years.

Any reason why you are going with the bush instead of the bearing? I've given up on the hubs since I serviced them to the point where it felt like I'm wearing the hub out just stripping and rebuilding. I love my mavics but this is one reason I will never buy them again.

If its this replacement bearing you mean??:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-HUBDOCTOR-PRO-MAVIC-FREEHUB-FULL-HYBRID-CERAMIC-/330459324713?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories

I looked at it but was a bit concerned about the fit - in some of the pictures it seems to create an extra lip on the bottom of the freehub body? So you have fitted one and its been working fine?

If thats the case then I'll probably look to get the bearing next time - yes I'm sure there will be a next time! :rolleyes: - the bearing does look like a longer term solution.

Yip that's the one. When I initially saw it my thoughts were 'there is no way in hell that thing is fitting onto my current hub without some serious machining. But it does and it is as easy as fitting the nylon bush. After my second bush I got the bearing and have not touched it since (>2000k's). You also get a replacement seal, different to the original and about half the thickness. This is enough extra space for the lip you see at the bottom of the body.

Sad story actually. The first one I ordered never pitched up. It just disappeared into the blue yonder. Jeroen actually refunded my money and I then got a replacement bush from aus. I knew it was not going to hold so I decided to order again but this time I send to our office in ATL, US so that I can pick it up when I was there. They ship in the US for free. So bottom line is you should have it within 2 weeks max but I never got to test that. 6 Months down the line and mine is still missing. I suspect it sitting on some customs poepols desk since it's a cool piece of kit.