CRC customers

Hermanus Cycles

I find it odd......how many hubbers are quick to buy from CRC for the discount.....then when they sell the goods they quote the local retail price?

I have a easy way of determining the price I sell my goods.

<1 year old = 50% of price (local retail)

<2 year old = 30% of price " "

i think there is a thread about this, or something very similar, and it caused a nice blow out. Remember, if the buyer agrees to the sellers price, who can actually quibble? Your personal gripe is almost irrelevant. Besides, many retailers used to buy from CRC and sell locally, at a higher price of course.

I find it odd......how many hubbers are quick to buy from CRC for the discount.....then when they sell the goods they quote the local retail price?

What do you find odd?

I use the stuff I buy, I do not sell it.

A two year old MTB Crankset at 30% will be a complete rip off, so your easy way probably does not work too well.

When I am done with stuff , it is ready for the bin.

When I buy stuff for Friends, they pay what it cost me

On the other hand, guys also get crucified for trying to sell locally bought stuff at prices based on local retail.

I personally base all my second hand prices on the cheapest of CRC, Totalcycling and CWC. The majority of my target market here on the Hub are internet savvy, willing to shop around to find the best price and willing to put up with a week or two's lead time to get their stuff at that price. Thus, my competition when making a sale is most likely to be brand new stuff from those stores, rather than local retail. I might have some success selling a higher priced item to someone who's desperate to get an item now or within a day or two, but it's unlikely.

What do you find odd?

I use the stuff I buy, I do not sell it.

A two year old MTB Crankset at 30% will be a complete rip off, so your easy way probably does not work too well.

When I am done with stuff , it is ready for the bin.

When I buy stuff for Friends, they pay what it cost me

I am talking about guys that do sell their parts.

There are many guys that change bits frequently.

Imagine selling a bike. You buy it for R20 000. Local distributor decides he is not selling enough and cuts all the prices by 20%. Now you need to sell you bike that's 6 months old for R16 000 - another 20-30%. I'm all for selling second hand stuff cheaper then the cheapest current available price.

Because its hub tradition to negotiate.

Some guys do seem a little ambitious with their prices on second hand goods.

Second hand duel suspension bikes seem to be one of the areas where prices stay high.

But I suppose if they get it sold at a high price, then that's just the way the market is...

As a few ppl have said, it's a free market. If the price is too high then ppl won't buy it. I base the prices of everything I sell on sales I have seen before on the hub (if possible) as this is presumably the market price. In some cases, this means I make a big loss and in other cases it might even be higher than CRC's price for the new equivalent product. It's up to the buyer to research it and pay whatever they consider to be a fair price and thus are happy paying.

As an example, there's a 2008 Manitou R7 fork for sale for basically the same price as CRC is currently selling the 2009 model for on their sale... it's up to the potential buyer to do their research and find out, why should the seller take a huge knock just because CRC has a sale on. Otherwise, wait until CRC sells out in a few weeks and then post the sale again.

The secret to buying on the hub is patience.

If you want what you want, exactly when you want it, you will pay a premium.

If you are happy to wait, sooner or later you will get a bargain.

I have bought three bikes and a set of deep section carbon wheels (all unable to tell the difference from new) at less than 50% of new cost.