how to remove scratches

brad890

Was wondering if anyone out there has had any sucess removing scratches from plasric screens like on cellphones, watches, bicycle computers etc?

reson I'm asking is, I got a flat today turned the bike over on its handle bars and seat and fixed the tire, when I turned the bike back over realised that I never took my computer off, so scuffed the screen a little no deep scratches, but if light hits it a little funny it interferes with the display a little

Have tried the following

Toothpast

Cd cleaner

Brasso

Any other suggestions of stuff that would work? Gonna go talk to the guys at the cellphone shop tomorow, but would still like to hear some other ideas for the hub if I have no luck

Thanks for any help

Brad

first coarse (not that course really, just fine) sandpaper to get the rest of the surface to the bottom of the groove, then progressively finer and finer sandpaper to minimize the sandpaper marks. finally buff out with CD scratchremover/brasso/toothpaste.

Ok I saw a site while googling about using sand paper was just a little scared to go and rub away with sand paper? Have YOU had any success using it to remove scratches?

And thank you for the reply and suggestion, got a really old broken phone to give it a shot on first lol

Nothing helps for cellphone faces. Even buffing with the felt pad on the dremel even seems to make it worse.

We once scratched the FlightDeck face the same way as you did. I took a piece of mutton cloth, put some brasso on and used elbow grease. It worked. I also removed scratches from the Polar in the same way.

Ok I saw a site while googling about using sand paper was just a little scared to go and rub away with sand paper? Have YOU had any success using it to remove scratches?

And thank you for the reply and suggestion, got a really old broken phone to give it a shot on first lol

Try using water paper , should work but u will need a very fine one and u could also try buffing compound.

I'm a dental tech, so we polish scratches off loads of dentures and polish things up all the time.

Theres a stainless steel polish we use which u can get at a hardware store. Also it helps if you have a hand held micromotor kind of thing that you get, or a polishing lathe. But first we use pumice and a bristle brush, but you have to keep the speed slow and the pumice wet or you will burn the composite. Then use a bristle brush and the steel polish and then finally the brasso/silvo and the polishing cloth to give the final shine.

Fine sandpaper, then fine wet sandpaper, and fianlly brasso should work but it's loads of manual labour.

Good luck.

I had a problem with scratches on some glass panels and I polished the worst of it using felt and a buffing compound which I got from a local optician (don't recall what it's called, but it's a very fine pink powder).

Thanks for all the replies guys I really appreciate it. Seems like one can always rely on the hub for technical question answers

I'm a dental tech, so we polish scratches off loads of dentures and polish things up all the time.

Theres a stainless steel polish we use which u can get at a hardware store. Also it helps if you have a hand held micromotor kind of thing that you get, or a polishing lathe. But first we use pumice and a bristle brush, but you have to keep the speed slow and the pumice wet or you will burn the composite. Then use a bristle brush and the steel polish and then finally the brasso/silvo and the polishing cloth to give the final shine.

Fine sandpaper, then fine wet sandpaper, and fianlly brasso should work but it's loads of manual labour.

Good luck.

Will this also remove the scratches off my DA rear derailler after my last fall :huh:

Will this also remove the scratches off my DA rear derailler after my last fall :huh:

Those things normally have a clear coat over it to protect it from tarnishing. If you remove it you will have to keep it polished.

Autosol now has a scratch remover paste. I used it on my Polar CS600 screen and it works like a bomb.

We sell it here at our store in wynberg.

We also use it on Motorcycle screens, headlights and clocks etc.

Here's another tip. When you use polish like a car polish to start with the deeper scratches. add Mr.Min to the mix to add more lube and makes it less abrasive.

Just another tip... since everybody mention 'fine' sandpaper...

I polish plastics and polyurethanes all the time. Don't use anything coarser than 600 grit carbide paper. In this application 600 should be 'coarse' and 1200 fine.

Don't apply pressure while sanding, sand lightly and as the grit clogs up, it'll automatically become finer.

Sometimes I don't even use abrasive papers, I just go straight to the buff. Be carefull when buffing plastic/perspex/etc. do many light passes, you don't want the material to heat up and melt.