3 speed SS????

Riding in Africa

Having now been riding SS for a few months i am having the time of my life again.

I was thinking is it posible to set the bike up to have just 3 sprockets at the back? I am running a 32x17 and would like to go lower for the flats and higher for climbs?

Any ideas

If you're going to do that then you may as well just stick the whole cassette on and have a gear for any gradient :rolleyes:

Guest agteros

maybe a third of a a single speed is better than a ninth, or a tenth, or even a twenty seventh of a single speed? :huh: :blink:

If that is not possible then what is needed to go 1x9 set up?

a cassette, rear derailleur and shifter.

..oh yes, a longer chain

Yes its possible,

choose your desired grears, line the middle 1 up with the front chain ring using spacers and then fill up the rest of the freewheel with spacers like you normally would for SS.

Set the derailour (spelling) limits to keep the chain on those 3 gears and not fall off onto the spacers.

Bobs your uncle . . . .

B)

My first "real" bicycle was a Raleigh..... a real steel framed skoolfiets Raleigh in 1968 while at school. I had a fourspeed cluster at the back with a single chainring up front and a downtube shifter. It worked very well. Your idea should be possible.

You also get those hubs with a cog on each side. Then you flip the wheel around, but it wouldn't work with disk brakes.

If you go the derailleur way, get a 8sp road derailleur or something. They're more compact

I like the idea of the Nexus transmission, but is it suitable for the rigours of MTB riding???? It was made for sedate town commuting.

Go and look here...... this may just work with multiple chainrings up front.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16134

If you go to the forums section of www.mtbr.com and look at the internal gear sub-forum, there is a lot of info on internal gear hubs and using them with MTB.

Guys have been quite successfull in using the Alfine hub instead of a Rohloff.

Then you get 8 speed (the new one is supposed to be 11 speed).

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35102

:(Thanks for the help on the subject

Like big H i also started on a bike with 3 speed via a cable and was adjusted by a small chain which went into the rear axle.

Now i feel realy old thinking about how long ago that was :( :(