Classifieds in printed publications

Cuppa Bru

Hey fellow hubbers

Can someone please tell me why our cycling mags no longer have any classifieds in them? Is it some sort of special arrangement with the LBSs?

I've been looking to upgrade from my brother's 2000 Giant Cypress for a while now and decided that now is as good a time as ever, seeing as the 94.7 is coming up soon.

In the beginning of the year a good friend's sister gave me some cycling mags to look at and sure enough I saw some really good deals (most posts included helmet, shoes, bottle cages, the works).

I didn't bite though.

Since then I've bought two cycling magazines (Bicycling April 2010 and Ride August 2010) and neither has any classifieds in the back.

What gives? :(

Mail the editors of said publications, they'll be able to give you the correct answer to your question. I think it has to do with space and cost, and possibly complaints from some readers who wants to read a cycling mag and not page through a "Junk Mail" type magazine. (Just my thoughts on it)

By the way, I also enjoyed seeing whats on the market and at what price.

Its because the mag goes into print about 2 months before it comes out and most of the for sale items have been sold or taken off the market by then I belive. If u still want the classifieds just buy the junk mail :)

Hey Rudig, The reason is because the mags have such a long shelf life, and usually items through Classifieds go really quickly, leading to a lot of frustration on the side of the advertisers. They keep on getting calls, non stop, about items that they have already sold a while ago.

The best option for you would be to either buy a Junk Mail or CapeAds paper, or visit the junkmail website. In my opinion the Junk Mail website is the best option as the items there are really fresh and new.

Or you can just keep on checking out teh For Sale section here on the Hub. Chances are that something you want will come along sometime. You just need to be patient.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Call me oldfashioned, but I thought the prices in the back would be a keeper. Ah well.

But it would be cool if they could emulate CAR Magazine and list new prices on all the different makes of bicycles :)

I get that it could be annoying for the guys that posted their rides in the magazines getting phone calls about their bike that was sold two months back lol

Come guys, post some more cool and unrealistically cheap road bikes in the classifieds and tempt me to finally upgrade from my bro's 14.5kg hybrid to a proper road bike :)