STEERER TUBE TOO SHORT

Titanium Rocket

Does anyone have a cheap solution to a Fox steerer tube that is too short for my new frame. The standard LBS answer is buy a whole new crown with the steerer tube and stanchions, but does anyone have a cheaper alternative?.

you can get a steerer tube extender at cajees but dont know how good they are have not heard anything about them?

Does anyone have a cheap solution to a Fox steerer tube that is too short for my new frame. The standard LBS answer is buy a whole new crown with the steerer tube and stanchions, but does anyone have a cheaper alternative?.

You used to be able to buy aluminium steerers - manufactured by RST.

If you can source one of these, and a good fitter and turner, they'll be able to remove the old one and press fit a new one.

Last time I managed to buy two steerers from Westdene Cycles - about R200 a piece.

Good Luck

I have used one of those BBB extenders successfully but I am not some mean highly technical downhill rider ..... Done SabieX with a bike that has one of those no problem. Not the most elegant thing but no one sees it anyway ....

Yes you can extend a steerer - you need to take it to a "fitter shop". It will add a bit of weight but it can be done

The BBB extenders work well. I have 2 of them and had no problems, rode 2 Epics and a Freedom Challenge with one on my Hard Tail. Also have one in the tandem. No issues.

Don`t know where you live. If you stay in in WC, I can point you to someone that will be able to sort you out. (Cycle shop with an engineer-contact)

Had the same problem. Sorted.

Mark`s Bicycle Works in Bellville (Tel 021 9495219). Ask for Mark ;)

My steerer tube on my Fox was replaced with a longer one. Pricing reasonable.

Just make sure they get in straight as I had a client who had a new steerer pressed in and the thing was skieff so it buggered up the crown and he wound up buying a new crown assembly after all...I have also seen a steerer tube that was pressed in come loose and the dude was in hospital for a week...think about it...

Yup - went same route.

Geco cycles in Cape Gate, Alu steerer was R120 if I remember correctly and labour was R200 to press.