BRT take 2

Nobody

Want to ride the BRT cycle lanes again this Friday. Perhaps if they see us using it more they will feel like it was worth the extra work to put the cycle route in.

Meet at the corner of ICC by the circle at 17:00 - 17:15 this Friday 20th August.

As there are workers till sundown it is a good idea to have some flashy lights

post-4989-051006700 1281961097.jpg

Hi Nobody

What's the best route to the foreshore from century city? Thinking of joining but never rode to town.

Is it possible to ride via the harbour therefore avoiding the N1.

Advice would be appreciated.

PM Sent.

The Harbour route will be closed soon and the railway tracks make for some "interesting" riding. The freeway is very risky. We ride on the outside of the harbour fence along the N1.

PM Sent.

The Harbour route will be closed soon and the railway tracks make for some "interesting" riding. The freeway is very risky. We ride on the outside of the harbour fence along the N1.

Why/when will the Harbour route be closed? We use it on weekends when cycling from Bellville/Durbanville to Houtbay/Chappies and back.

I phoned them as i was fearing my life on the railway crossings. I wanted to buy non slip material to put on the railway lines. Just a meter into the road, not the whole rail.

The answer was that as it stands they are allowing cyclists through but will be closing it to public traffic soon. Reason being is that it is private property and is accessed controlled. You will need to show ID and a reason for using that road in the future. You can already see that they are doing vehicle and body searches. They also from time to time ask us why we riding there.

http://www.tradeinvestsa.co.za/news/981082.htm

http://ports.co.za/cape-town.php

Can always phone and ask for a reason, number provided in link above. I may be wrong but I think the port is only letting us through until the BRT is up and running. If anyone has any further info or contacts who can give more detail, please let us know.

I phoned them as i was fearing my life on the railway crossings. I wanted to buy non slip material to put on the railway lines. Just a meter into the road, not the whole rail.

The answer was that as it stands they are allowing cyclists through but will be closing it to public traffic soon. Reason being is that it is private property and is accessed controlled. You will need to show ID and a reason for using that road in the future. You can already see that they are doing vehicle and body searches. They also from time to time ask us why we riding there.

http://www.tradeinvestsa.co.za/news/981082.htm

http://ports.co.za/cape-town.php

Can always phone and ask for a reason, number provided in link above. I may be wrong but I think the port is only letting us through until the BRT is up and running. If anyone has any further info or contacts who can give more detail, please let us know.

RCYC members are supposed to get a special access card from port captain. Maybe you could do the same if it would be worth your while since you're there everyday.

Fair is Fair and if I have no business in the harbour then I shouldnt be there so if they want me not to ride then I have to get another route.

The trucks are quite dangerous so this could also be the reasoning behind their approach.

I would love to spend a Sunday with a port maintenance team and clean up the road for cyclists. The smell some times makes me GAG.

I just wonder what will happen to Panama Jacks.