Which book to buy

Friel or Armstrong/Carmichael  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better training guide

• The Lance Armstrong Performance Program - Lance Armstrong/Chris Carmichael
    • The Mountain Bikers Training Bible - Joe Friel

So, it's time to get a little more scientific about my training. I have all of the goods, i.e. Bike, HRM, time (limited), motivation and goal. Now, I need some guidance on using them all to achieve my goal. Been looking at books to help me put together a training program, and the choice comes down to:

1. The Lance Armstrong Performance Program - Lance Armstrong/Chris Carmichael

2. The Mountain Bikers Training Bible - Joe Friel

I'm specifically looking at improving my understanding of heart rate monitoring, training intensities, etc. Up until now, my HRM has been used mostly to upload and gain the Vitality points.

Any thoughts/input/ideas welcomed.

Oh, and Fandacious - please don't turn this into a Lance bashing thread... ;)

If you are interested I have 3 heart rate based programs already set up up. Two are from polar.

PM me your email address and I'll forward them to you.

never read LA's book, but am currently using The Mountain Bikers Training Bible - Joe Friel

got a really good understanding of the science of training, how often, what, when, how hard etc.

i highly recommend

I got the LA book as a gift. Glad i didn't spend my own money on it. I think its safe to say that Joe Friel is one of the best coaches out there, but I cant vouch for his book since I haven't read it. Carmichael may also be good but his book sure sucks.

Contact Polar and arrange to attend one of their training seminars. IHF Products cc P. O. Box 4021. Halfway House 1685. South Africa Tel: (011) 805-1028. Fax: (011) 805-5498 Speak to Harald Zumpt. You will not be sorry!

Contact Polar and arrange to attend one of their training seminars. IHF Products cc P. O. Box 4021. Halfway House 1685. South Africa Tel: (011) 805-1028. Fax: (011) 805-5498 Speak to Harald Zumpt. You will not be sorry!

Went to his seminar as well. Was brilliant and best of all it was free(organised by my club).

If you are interested I have 3 heart rate based programs already set up up. Two are from polar.

PM me your email address and I'll forward them to you.

PM sent - SMS for breast cancer to follow...

Ah, been trying to find the details for this course, will contact Harald - thanks!

And the winner is...

90% - Joe Friel, 10% - Lance and Chris

Order is in at Kalahari.net for the Mountain Bikers Training Bible. Thanks for the votes and advice!