Paris-Brest-Paris: unfinished business

pbp2007

So my PBP ended on a country road outside Loudeac, in watery sunshine, 450 km from the finish line. A nagging ache in my left knee that had started earlier in the day became an agonising jolt of pain with every pedal stroke. The decision to quit, when it came, was easy: all I had left to me was one good leg.

As we lined up for the start (10.30 pm wave) the rain came lashing down and persisted for much of the rest of my ride. All the way to Brest it was like blundering head-on into one of the Cape's finest winter northwest storms.

People I spoke to during and after PBP agreed that the conditions were horrendous. Still, you play the hand you get dealt.

Results haven't been confirmed, but from what I hear there was a high attrition rate. At the finish on one official laptop that was constantly being updated I saw around 3 000 finishers out of 5 300 with about an hour to go. SA representative Eddie Thomlinson told me at the finish that he'd heard many of our riders had quit. It was a similar story from riders of other nationalities.

The Cape Town contingent lost 2 out of 3 at Loudeac (450 km) and I managed to keep going until 780 km.

But I'll be back...

Note:

One-legged drills up the Champs Elysees in the evening rush hour are not to be recommended.

Note to Holy Roller:

I met Marlene from Benoni on the train back to Paris. We shared a comfy, warm compartment with about 10 other riders who'd also had enough. She said she stopped when she realised that she was running out of time at controls. A couple of youngsters with her (Tanya and Adolf, I think) continued.

Note to Holy Roller:

I met Marlene from Benoni on the train back to Paris. We shared a comfy' date=' warm compartment with about 10 other riders who'd also had enough. She said she stopped when she realised that she was running out of time at controls. A couple of youngsters with her (Tanya and Adolf, I think) continued.

[/quote']

thanks for the update. she's a tough chick, marlene! sorry to hear you didn't quite make it, but at least you're in good enough humourClapClapClap

Hi PBP, sorry to hear.  I reconned the route in '05, so I know how hilly it is.  Bad weather will made it really tough!

I also had dreams to do PBP this year, but work commitments and injury prevented me from qualifying.  Don't worry its back again in 4 years time.

sorry, don't know how Adolf did.

For perspective:

Jan Heine (publisher of Vintage Bicycle Quarterly) finished in 48 hours subject to confirmation, quite likely the first American and in the top 30. He was riding unsupported on an Alex Singer. A picture of the bike shows him with just a big handlebar bag that looks like it could be a Berthoud. the bike itself is a classic rando-style machine with old-style components (DT shifters, for instance), Mafac centrepulls and 650 B wheels with what looks like 38 profile tyres.

Respect.

hold on......you rode 780km and you were still 450km form the finish !!

what a crazy race....

much repsect bro! Thumbs%20Up