No serial, no sale?

JarradVZ

Compulsory serial numbers in ads  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Make it compulsory?

• Yay!
    • Nay!

Ok, so I've been thinking...

We all agree that bike theft is the worst thing since syphilis. But these bikes are somehow being resold. It pains me to think that some of these bikes are possibly (probably?) being resold to innocent Hubbers.

Imagine that, us awesome Hubbers actually being part of the problem by unknowingly purchasing stolen goods.

Not cool.

So...

Frames have serial numbers, right? What if every single adverisement for a frame or bike on the Hub had to include the serial number of said frame? This could be enforced by us, the buyers, or even by Admin.

So then instead of asking:

"Size?"

"Why you selling?"

"Couch pic!"

we could say:

"Serial number biatch!"

There is already an on-line database for frame serial numbers which we could then go and look at or we could cross-reference here - https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/80059-stolen-bikes-serial-numbers/

If this became Hub law then surely it would be a bit trickier for dodgy bastards to take advantage of us?

Treat the cause, not the symptoms. And who knows, if we start here perhaps it will catch on and spread and people won't buy a frame without checking up on the relevant digits.

So, who's with me? Shall we give it a go?

Methinks the only people who would not be keen would be the dishonest sellers and buyers.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats that site where you register your bike?

This will take a while to work into the system but might be a good idea

Not sure of the site for the registry, but it does exist.

Of course it will take a while, but if we all actively enforce it then it will catch on.

Heartcoppi can be the smoking police, I'll try become serial police guy.

It can be done and is a good idea, but I don't think there's really stolen bikes being sold on the hub. That said, if we can catch one oke, that would be good enough

As an ex-2nd hand buyer, I'm all for it.

Making serial numbers compulsory makes the hub a less desirable place to sell stolen goods and commit fraudulent insurance claims by pawning off their goods and then claiming affirmative shopping.

cool, so i just got some metal punches, and am now starting a business of altering bike serial numbers. contact for prices :lol:

I don't like the idea. So I go put my bikes serial number in the post, and some pr!ck goes to the cops says his bike is stolen and gives my serial number. I don't have proof of ownership of my bikes, most of them were bought second hand anyway. So how can I prove that my bike is really mine?

If you want to play policeman policeman you should join the reservists.

I don't like the idea. So I go put my bikes serial number in the post, and some pr!ck goes to the cops says his bike is stolen and gives my serial number. I don't have proof of ownership of my bikes, most of them were bought second hand anyway. So how can I prove that my bike is really mine?

If you want to play policeman policeman you should join the reservists.

Yeah, ok conspiracy man.

I'm also really sorry about the aliens who landed in your back garden and anal-probed you.

My opinion is that like many of our cars, the bicycles also find their way north , Zim, Mozambique, Swaziland... though, a concern I have is the amount of ads on the hub. Its crazy, its like 100(?)/day :o Makes me wonder.

My opinion is that like many of our cars, the bicycles also find their way north , Zim, Mozambique, Swaziland... though, a concern I have is the amount of ads on the hub. Its crazy, its like 100(?)/day :o Makes me wonder.

Exactly, we all think that they are legit. But how do we really know?

Could even have been stolen from LBS - so they look brand new.