Riding in to Work on the m5

Spat

I have been thinking abour riding into work from the Southern Suburbs.

I notice a couple of guys in the peak hour traffic in the morning on the M5.

Not sure this is the way to go though, is there anyone else who rides in from southern Suburbs and uses the main road, what are your experiences?

Also if anyone does use the M5 what has your experience been, does the traffic officials not stop you as you ride past them?

There are sectoins of the M5 that I find scary in my car!

I couldnt imagine riding them on my bike...

Thats what I think.

Some of these guys take the N2 turnoff and go onto black river parkway.

That section has lots of criss crossing of cars.

The M5 is a freeway from Wynberg to Athlone, more or less to the slip road flyover from N2 to Red Cross hospital/Klipfontein Rd).

This means it is illegal to ride a bike on that stretch.

I have yet to hear of a cyclist having been stopped by traffic officers, though.

I have ridden there in daytime traffic (fast, but potentially dangerous because of high speed differential between cars and yourself, and the off- and on-ramps you have to cross) and in the early hours on audax rides, when the speed differential is even higher, but traffic is a lot lighter. It's doable, but hazardous. The M5 could be a fantastic riding route if the powers that be created a cycle lane (I'm generally against cycle lanes, but on freeways they could be useful).

Main Road, if anything, is more of a problem because of additional hazards such as predictably unpredictable taxis. The heavy traffic also slows you down. You could try Rosmead Avenue-Belvedere/Milner Rd-Park Rd at Rondebosch Common-Liesbeeck Parkway-Lower Main Rd.

What is your intended route?

Hi

"Rosmead Avenue-Belvedere/Milner Rd-Park Rd at Rondebosch Common-Liesbeeck Parkway-Lower Main Rd"

Would probably be the way I would get to the CBD, will be giving it a try as soon as the fast period is over.

Why would you want to ride on the M5 when you can ride in it?

(silence)

(cough cough)