Supplier / dealer whatever

Guest coenie

Guest coenie

Maybe some cleaver people here can assist or explain this to me.

Why do only get a limited range of a certain brand here in SA and the USA get what looks like the whole range?

I am looking for a certain colour frame, it is available in the USA, AU, UK but not here? Then I emailed one of the dealers here and got a reply..."Sorry that is only a full bike and that frame is only in black" But in other countries you can get 2 colours......???

Then I contacted a dealer in another country asking if I can have said frame.."Sorry we cannot(read:Are not allowed) to ship to any state/never mind country.

I understand the whole importer / distributor / dealer thing but why can we not have access to the whole range?

Any ideas/ explanations greatly appreciated.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is mostly Americans that do this.

They supply certain ranges to certain countries.

I know Cannondale has a USA range and a Euro range. Same frames but different colors. :huh:

Keep individuality around the whole USA thing? Don't know..... :blink:

The footwear industry is the same.

Supplier/agent/manufacturer comes to retailer with the styles available for a certain period, and then we take our pick. We usually choose colours on what we believe will sell. Usually that will be the more conservative /safe colour.

Then the supplier will also have minimums in every colour that they want to bring in.

At the end of the day it boils down to economies of scale, and there might not be enough percieved demand to warrant bringing in extra colours in frames.

Guest coenie

The footwear industry is the same.

Supplier/agent/manufacturer comes to retailer with the styles available for a certain period, and then we take our pick. We usually choose colours on what we believe will sell. Usually that will be the more conservative /safe colour.

Then the supplier will also have minimums in every colour that they want to bring in.

At the end of the day it boils down to economies of scale, and there might not be enough percieved demand to warrant bringing in extra colours in frames.

I understand, but the way that I look at it is that when I then ask for that colour the Supplier should be able to get it for me, (since I am not allowed to import it myself and the dealer in another country is not allowed to send it to me).....at no extra cost?

I was looking a Giant and Specialized....

Have you seen how big the Giant range of bikes is? Not all will sell in this market. The International catalogue is about three times as thick as the SA one.

Guest coenie

Have you seen how big the Giant range of bikes is? Not all will sell in this market. The International catalogue is about three times as thick as the SA one.

Then they must allow me to import the colour I want to still support it? It is still a Giant and just because they did not bring it in why should I be stopped from getting what I want?

Then they must allow me to import the colour I want to still support it? It is still a Giant and just because they did not bring it in why should I be stopped from getting what I want?

Well simple then, forget what the bike can do but more about what the color can do for you, buy from the brand that stocks your color and get bored with it in a year or so.

yip i also found that with Spec, wanted a pair of shoes in white, saw them on evans website, they will not ship outside Europe. :angry:

Guest coenie

Well simple then, forget what the bike can do but more about what the color can do for you, buy from the brand that stocks your color and get bored with it in a year or so.

I looked at these two brands as they can do the right thing for me....now I just want the correct colour and I am not allowed to have it?

Why NOT?

I looked at these two brands as they can do the right thing for me....now I just want the correct colour and I am not allowed to have it?

Why NOT?

Even with cars your options are limited.

Around 10 years ago bike manufacturers used to do many color options.

They are now limiting that and when in S.A. the options become even less, it's to do with budget, and what you think you can or can not sell.

I used to be rather color conscience regarding bikes, but realising that most of them have limited my options I have become rather content with whatever I can get, but that's just me.

Guest coenie

Even with cars your options are limited.

Around 10 years ago bike manufacturers used to do many color options.

They are now limiting that and when in S.A. the options become even less, it's to do with budget, and what you think you can or can not sell.

I used to be rather color conscience regarding bikes, but realising that most of them have limited my options I have become rather content with whatever I can get, but that's just me.

I fully understand the concept, but why can we not import it ourselfs then or why can the dealer not get what we want?

Coenie, I believe you want a Anthem X frame in Black? Where did you see that the aftermarket frame comes in this colour? The US, Int and UK sites all show the aftermarket frame as being brushed/black (brushed with black logos and details).

Sounds like a stupid business model.

If a customer wants a colour / model why should he / she not get what they want.??

Why cant Giant or whoever say "look, its not a popular model, we dont stock it, BUT, on our next order we will import one for you - give us a deposit of XYZ to secure the deal."

Simple.!

I wanted a certain watch recently I had seen in New York, the local distributor didnt sell it here but after the dealer spent three minutes on the phone with him the distributor said they would bring me one in on the next order if I gave a 30% deposit, which I did. About 6 weeks later I had my watch.

Why cant they do the same.?