Chain Tugs for Scandal 29er Slot Dropout Frame

philip.maree

I have an On-One Scandal 29er Slot Drop Out frame. I run it geared I have to use chain tugs as the clearance between the rear tire and the front derailleur is not enough. The problem is that the wheel doesn't stay aligned in the center. Especially after harsh braking the alignment is out and the rotor rubs against the pads.

Has anybody had the same problem and how did you solve it?

I know you get bolt on tugs but not sure how that will work when you have to remove the wheel to change a flat.

I have an On-One Scandal 29er Slot Drop Out frame. I run it geared I have to use chain tugs as the clearance between the rear tire and the front derailleur is not enough. The problem is that the wheel doesn't stay aligned in the center. Especially after harsh braking the alignment is out and the rotor rubs against the pads.

Has anybody had the same problem and how did you solve it?

I know you get bolt on tugs but not sure how that will work when you have to remove the wheel to change a flat.

Have you tried these ..... ?

Yip, I have it on both sides but they don't seem to keep the wheel aligned.

Any body used MKS Tugs on their Scandals?

Where can they be found locally?

Which FD do you use? A 'high clamp' SRAM X9 or Shimano FD773 work best.

Also ask Kiwi for advice.

Which FD do you use? A 'high clamp' SRAM X9 or Shimano FD773 work best.

Also ask Kiwi for advice.

I use a low clamp Shimano XT FD M770. Would the high clamp enable me to remove the tugs completely? That was why I opted for the low clamp but to no avail.

I don't have the 'slotted dropout' Scandal 29er (mine's the regular) but, in discussion with Wayne (Kiwi), the advice was that the X9 and FD773 FD's give the best clearance (I run 2.4" Continental Mountain Kings, and there is plenty of clearance on the vertical dropout frame. Looking at how the X( fits (from memory), if the wheel is 'too far forward', I think it more likely that the tyre would rub on the frame rather than the FD.

If you're in Jo'burg, you're welcome to 'compare'.

It's also worth dropping Wayne (Kiwi on here an E-Mail) - The Thug may also have some advice.

Cheers,

Dave.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I will see if I can get either one of the FD's mentioned above and give it a try.

I am going to install an XX crank on it in the next couple of weeks so was looking at getting a road FD (Shimano 105 5700 or SRAM Force). Will that also work?

I run Race King 2.2 on the back. Man that is a high volume tire.

With this one you can attach your rear der to the chain tug

The Scandal Slot Dropout Frame has a built in hanger. But I like the idea of the bolt on tugs. If you use these without the hanger then it would be perfect. Only problem is when you have to change a tire then it's a mission. Unless I am missing something?

Are you in Jo'burg?

I think I have an X9 FD that you could use to check if you're close to Jo'burg North.

Best plan is to talk to Wayne (Kiwi) - wayne@planet-x-bikes.co.za - I'm sure he will have been asked this question before, and will have some advice.

Are you in Jo'burg?

I think I have an X9 FD that you could use to check if you're close to Jo'burg North.

Best plan is to talk to Wayne (Kiwi) - wayne@planet-x-bikes.co.za - I'm sure he will have been asked this question before, and will have some advice.

I am in Centurion so will chat to the guys at my LBS to see if they don't have an old FD there.

Will give Wayne a shout for further advice.

Thanks a lot for the info, it's much appreciated