Decline in race numbers

MooToo

Arriving at the start of the <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Lost City race I noticed that the parking lot was empty. I have also noticed a decline in entries at most races this year. Why?

Lost City 2007 - 1681

Lost City 2006 - 2108

Lost City 2005 - 2230

Lost City 2004 - 2368

Lost City 2003 - 2598

Is it because it's to expensive?

Are people migrating to other sports?

Is it because the sports administration?  

MooToo2007-08-27 05:53:32

More road races, MTB, duathlons...

its becoming a problem, we had 300 online entries at EPR compared to 600 last year. On Woman's day there were 4 road races in Gauteng!

I think its the cost involved. we paid R400 just for 2nights of living in our own tent in the dirt. Then R450 for Fuel, Plus in Suncity the food is so darn expensive. Plus roads are dangerous etc

I will not ride this race again as i think it is too dangerous , both from the local road users and the large bunches point of view.

The last time I rode, a pack of dogs ran into my bunch, and later a car crashed into us. Add the big trucks going past at 120km/h and I get nervous.

Now the kids are hassling the riders!

I had the choice of about 5 races this weekend and chose to go and do the Dirty Double series in GrootMarico. The locals claim to have invented the term generically modified (GM). Same driving time as Sun City but for me ,a more enjoyable experience. I am now an expert on the all different types of slate that we rode over, around, through, but luckily not under.

Yes as Scotty mentioned, running has been in decline for years.

Personally, I only do two or three cycle races a year and the lost city used to be one but I stopped in 2005 as I consider the race just too dangerous and risky.

From my point of view, I will only do races with complete road closure now where the cyclist has at least a modicum of safety margin.

As a keen runner and still involved heavily in the running scene, its generally accepted that the reasons for decline are much the same, excessive costs which hold no percieved benefit for the average Joe who just wants to run a few races every year without issues. 

Agreed - I no longer partake in most races due to excessive costs & no full road closure - I have chosen my races carefully over the last few years .... I now only concentrate on The Race for Victory for "that mountain" & "death defying downhills & "maybe" 94.7 ...... if my buddy rides it ...

Will I need to get a temporary licence for these races ??? I ask because I don't really care for time anylonger so essentially I leave my chips at home ....

"DT"

Vergelyk bietjie hoeveel het die entries se geld opgegaan in die laaste paar jaar, dan weet mens hoekom daar nie meer so baie mense is nie

Gewoonlik as die prys opgaan, moet daar 1 of 2 voordele by kom, maar dis asof die races net te gevaarlik raak deesdae

This is a common phenomenon, in the Western Cape several road rides have disappeared due to the fact that decreasing numbers made these fundraising events non-viable.  The decrease in road ride partcipation numbers (or the levelling off of numbers) is mirrored by a huge increase in numbers participating in MTB events (eg 1800 + entrants for the Stellenbosch MTB challenge a couple of weeks ago), as well as a proliferation of new MTB events.  I think I am correct in saying there are now more MTB events on the annual PPA calender than road rides.  I think the reason is simple; it's just too dangerous to ride on the road. 

Delgado.....Mampara......licenses....yes.....and partialy.....

MONEY!!!

You have an interest rate hike.....what 4 times in a row now.....you have fuel prices....accomodation....race entries went from R100 to R150 and higher....blahh...blahhh....blahh.....

People can afford to ride every race anymore.  It think those days are GONE!

For me it is easy....get a license at the beginning of the year.  It's a lousy R150 and I can ride ANY race I want to..........

People still hovering over this issue is about 16 months behind time......WAKE UP!  This is life....you probably still think petrol sits at R1.50 a litre?? 

What we DO need to stress about is what gets DONE with our R150 a year!!!  THAT is what the problem is!

Sun City will always have a bad name to it because it is a flat race, people loose concertration and crash.....not the race's fault but rather the lack of ability....because it is flat and fast, every unfit, "I cycle once a year" guy is riding it and hence the crashes. 

Think Homer has a point too....

Mommie and Daddy will rather ride on the gravel than risking life and limb on our roads!!

Generally, I also think people are becoming much more financially savvy, -gone are the days (in my opinion) when people said ........its only R50 or R150 OR R250 or whatever (fill in your own amount) paid up and forgot about it -  today people ask themselves "wheres the value" and if it cant be shown they dont pay - finished.!

I think races are becoming to expensive for the actual percieved value (rightly or wrongly) and so folk stay away.

If one adds up the cost of a race its not just the entry fee, its generally travelling - sometimes long distances, accomodation on site, spend which you would probably not normally have budgeted for and in addition one has to amortise the other costs like club fees, license fees, club kit, bike service,travel and time cost to collect your entry number,etc etc into a race cost and you will be very surprised - its probably well over R500.00 actual cost per entry.   
porky2007-08-27 05:16:56