Chain Wear

Kriek

Need advice please.My chain (dura ace) needs replacement every 2-3months which is about 3000kms.

I feel this is too quick. Have a new cassette (thought that could be the problem).Could it be my front blades?I would I know?

Komaan Haas, jy's al lankal hier. Jy weet die vraag gaan net weer 'n faait begin.

Meet die ketting. Soek vir "12 inches" en "Chain" hier op die forum. Al die antwoorde is daar.

Erm, 3000kms is not all that bad... What's bad (ass) is that you do that in 2-3 months. Respect.

My MTB chains last about 1500-2000km.

thanks Johan sal more as ek computer uitkom,bietjie moeilik op foon.Maar Martin, ek ken ouens wat n jaar met n kettang ry wat dieselfde afstande en intensiteit ry.

ok, eks die drol, maar hoe de m#@r meet jy 'n ketting vir sluitasie? Eks meer in MTB, my pad fiets se ketting gan my nog 3 jaar hou... B)

a tjyn gaige werk vi my,as die ding se die tjain is amper moer toe,moet jy ma petaal vi nuwe tjain anders gaan jy jou kog op donder

hou op ou vis olie gebruik.

How acurate is this?

Tension the chain by pressing lightly on the right pedal. Hold a 12" ruler against the chain. On a fresh chain the distance of 12 full links, from pin to pin, is exactly 12". If 12 links on your chain measure 12 1/8" or more then it is time to replace your chain. If you replace your chain regularly, you will get decidedly longer life out our your chainrings and cassette cogs. Plus, you will have a quieter drivetrain with smoother shifting.

i only have mm/cm rulers...so I assume 30.48 cm will do?my frontblades are old but there is no skipping or s

ucking, should i still replace them...quite expensive

How acurate is this?

Tension the chain by pressing lightly on the right pedal. Hold a 12" ruler against the chain. On a fresh chain the distance of 12 full links, from pin to pin, is exactly 12". If 12 links on your chain measure 12 1/8" or more then it is time to replace your chain. If you replace your chain regularly, you will get decidedly longer life out our your chainrings and cassette cogs. Plus, you will have a quieter drivetrain with smoother shifting.

24 links (12 inner + 12 outer) = 12". You don't have to measure pin to pin. It can be from end of link or beginning of link. The tension the chain is under while standing is enough to get a reading. With a chain gauge you can force the chain to read what ever you want it too. It was demonstrated to me with a brand new chain. Steel inch rulers can be bought from CNA for R30.