Lubricant to use on MTb

militarac

Howzit Guys

I using Ice lubricant on my MTB but comes in small bottle and is expensive is anything else we can use that comes in bigger bottles??

I normally wash with water after ride and than use Ice.Help is appreciated.

You talking about chain lube? Ice is Greek to me, don't know it.

I've found Chain-L to work superbly (see aapskommel on the list, he sells it). However, you'll get many opinions. Best is try them out yourself and find what you like.

I use Squirt. It's a dry wax-based lubricant. At Solomons it's about R65 for a 90ml bottle and at my LBS R90-00/. Wash bike once a week and then lube chain. It runs super quiet and shifting is a dream. You can apply using on old toothbrush and you use very little at each application.

You talking about chain lube? Ice is Greek to me, don't know it.

I've found Chain-L to work superbly (see aapskommel on the list, he sells it). However, you'll get many opinions. Best is try them out yourself and find what you like.

:D How can you buy anything from someone called aapskommel :blink:

I use Squirt, decently priced and works well enough for me. Sometimes, especially a wet/muddy ride I use Wynflo/n instead. Fifty bucks from Builders.

Also I notice Herschelles make a damn fine range of lubes and greases, also available from Builders.

You trying to start a religious war on the Hub again because Lube is like religion, we each have our own!

But there are so many choices and it all comes down to where you ride and how you clean your bike. Personally I'm going back to wet lube as it works for me.

AS much as Ive tried to make everything else work ( ok I havnt used aapskommel) but Squirt looks about the same..Squirt works really well.

Someone forgot his bottle of squirt in my car oneday and I was forced to use it.

My drivetrain is going on 2500km and I just did the transbaviaans with a single aplication at the start, no squeeky chain in 230 km of dust and mud.

Seriously, I was impressed.

Ya - using Squit too now. Used Icewax before too.

Found an interesting study via the Hub a while back :

My link

I have just gotten some Finishline wax lubricant to see if really is as good as the study shows! Will try some others that came out tops after I use this. They all work really so just preference as to how clean you like to keep the chain and how often you want to apply.

The web is full of reviews and discussions about this to keep you busy for days!

If you train harder your stronger mtb buddies won't be A$$ raping you every weekend and you won't need lube....

If you train harder your stronger mtb buddies won't be A$$ raping you every weekend and you won't need lube....

so guess who needs lube every weekend..... :lol:

Hmmm - lube. Durex has brought out a new line. They have things like spearmint and strawberry. Each to his own but I don't think it is meant for your mountain bike but if you go that route, use a LOT! :lol:

I find Rock 'n Roll Gold extremely good, and works well for mtb and road bike. Expect to pay around R100 a 120ml bottle, but well worth the price. Keeps chain smooth and clean, and easy to degrease during a wash.

AS much as Ive tried to make everything else work ( ok I havnt used aapskommel) but Squirt looks about the same..Squirt works really well.

Someone forgot his bottle of squirt in my car oneday and I was forced to use it.

My drivetrain is going on 2500km and I just did the transbaviaans with a single aplication at the start, no squeeky chain in 230 km of dust and mud.

Seriously, I was impressed.

Bos, your'e supposed to ride your bike...not carry it!! I can also get that type of result...but only if I carry it on the back of my bakkie... :D :D