Scott Spark 35

flames

I bought a Spark 20 in Nov. Its back at Probike with a cracked BB> only rode the bike 4 times so this does seem to be a problem with frame.

• 9 months later...

I have a spark 40 (2011 model) and it broke this morning in thesame place as all the rest. On the right rear swing arm just below the pivot point.

Taking it in today, so lets see if it gets fixed??

• 2 weeks later...

I have a spark 40 (2011 model) and it broke this morning in thesame place as all the rest. On the right rear swing arm just below the pivot point.

Taking it in today, so lets see if it gets fixed??

Well it appears it is being covered by the frame warranty. However this process is not quick. I am getting a loan part unitl the shipment arrives in late Nov or early Dec.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it appears it is being covered by the frame warranty. However this process is not quick. I am getting a loan part unitl the shipment arrives in late Nov or early Dec.

Broke my 4 month old 2011 Spark 50 frame straight in half in the exact same place as everyone else about a moth ago. Scott replaced it with 2009 model chain stay because they said the 2011's were going to take a long time to come in and that it was the same thing, so I agreed. After about half a dozen rides on the replacement part I am noticing a small hairline crack on the same side but a little further back. Should I ask the Scott for a whole new model, or maybe have have the LBS credit me towards another bike? This is getting really frustrating now.

I attached pictures of the original broken chain stay

post-29318-0-96814200-1323230403.jpg

post-29318-0-17179000-1323230469.jpg

I'd take it in immediately, before it gets worse, we all can see whats going to happen, maybe the crack in the early stages will actually help them find the problem, guessing faulty frames get shipped back to the factory for research.

As for what now... tea da article last night in Tread about the Scott and well after reading all of this this morning I'm rethinking my next bike.

Not good for Scott as a brand though.

G

Broke my 4 month old 2011 Spark 50 frame straight in half in the exact same place as everyone else about a moth ago. Scott replaced it with 2009 model chain stay because they said the 2011's were going to take a long time to come in and that it was the same thing, so I agreed. After about half a dozen rides on the replacement part I am noticing a small hairline crack on the same side but a little further back. Should I ask the Scott for a whole new model, or maybe have have the LBS credit me towards another bike? This is getting really frustrating now.

I attached pictures of the original broken chain stay

Spoke with Scott today. They said to send them pics and take it in to the shop so they can get me out a new part. FYI.. The tech told me that I should not have received a Spark 50 chain stay but instead a 2010 Spark 40 chain Stay. Unless I am mistaken, other than color, isn't it the same thing?

Again, really small but it definitely looks and feels like a crack to me.

post-29318-0-10758200-1323295902.jpg

Edited by los05

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to give an update... The warranty guy I dealt with (Ben Chournos) was extremely responsive, sympathetic and helpful towards my issue. In the end it turned out not to be a crack at all and just my paranoya, but Ben was cool enough to send me some sweet new Scott riding gloves straight to my house. A very small token I know, but to me, that's what good customer service is all about.