New to biking

NBG

Hi all

I am new to the forum and new to biking. Last time i rode a bike was 30 years ago when i was 5 years of age.

Now i have decided to get back on a bike in order to get fit, lose weight and get out and enjoy summer. However i have a few problems and am seeking advice....

1- I have no idea where i can go and ride. The problem is that i am VERY unfit and overweight. For now i am cycling around the block but i need to increase the distance in a safe environment as i am scared stiff of the cars.

2- I would like to find some folk to ride with. Or find somewhere i can take the bike and go ride for a few kms alone. My first goal is to get to doing 10kms comfortably.

3- Any advice would be welcome and just some starting tips would be cool. I have no idea where to start, how to start, where to ride, etc.

4- I find i have a fair amount of tension in my shoulders and neck after a ride and i feel i should get my bike fitted to me. Where can i go for this, or is there someone who can come to me?

Can anyone help me? Any info would be appreciated :)

With the word 'girl' in your nickname you're bound to get loads of interest.

Welcome to The Hub. It could be the best thing or the worst thing you've ever done :huh:

First good luck with your reaching your goals.

Yes I would suggest you take the bike for a setup (Cycle Lab is good) but also remember that having not ridden a bike for so many year you are bound to have some pain ;)

You obviously already got the bike and it seems as if you went for the road option. I would have suggested a MTB as it is more relaxed and potentially safer even when riding on the road as you can use all the space.

And and the first few rides are the worst but push on and you won't be sorry.

Welcome NewBikeGirl!

I learnt to ride a bicycle for the first time EVER 3 years ago and have not looked back :)

I'm still very wobbly on my MTB and salute you for even daring to play on the tar, well done to you! If you want a secure environment to pedal off road, try the Bike Park off Main Road in Bryanston. There are several trails to hone your skills on and its a good place for a girl to ride.

As a fellow "noob" my suggestion is to persevere, enjoy the pedalling and GET GOOD SHORTS!! :rolleyes:

We live in the North so sadly cant join you for your weekday adventures but hope to see you on the rails- I'll be the one with the training wheels :P

Get some mates, and just climb on the bike and enjoy yourself if you can do 1 or 100km's thats not the point. Just go and have fun. Not in your side of world can cant tell you where to go though.

And remember take it easy, dont kill yourself starting out.

Hi NBG - loads of places to ride. Try the following:

Rietvlei Farm (just South of Joburg, Kliprivier area)

Northern Farms (North of Fourways)

Teak Place (Cradle area)

Groenkloof (Fountains, Pretoria)

Weekend riding at all the above is OK as they tend to be fairly busy. Better to ride with a group, though, than on your own. Maybe join JMBC - check them on the web. They have graded groups from absolute beginners to serious riders. I haven't been with them but they sound friendly and organised, from what I can gather.

Drop me a note if you want directions to any of the above.

Have fun - pedal hard.

SD

Good luck with losing the weight and all your other great goals !

I tried losing a few kgs about 18 months ago and this was my first ever diet attempt. I also cycled lots during that period.

My conclusions to lose weight were that you have to get the calories under control and if you actually take note of what's in everything you eat you have a much better chance of reaching your goals. Simply keeping the calories the same and adding in exercise guarantees nothing, if you start eating more because of the exercise you can happily gain weight despite the exercise !

I eventualy tracked my food via www.crosstrainer.ca software, they give you a 40 day free trial as I recall. Adding my food choices to the software and using some of their pre-loaded data really opened my eyes to how many calories I was chucking down every day.

I then also found that I could drop my calories lower and lower but that my metabolism just slowed right down. The trick I eventually used is to try and fool your metabolism by selecting an average no. of calories per day, say 1800 and making sure you average 1800 a day but never have 1800 more than twice a week, so the one day I go down to 1600, the next up at 1900 etc. By keeping your body guessing, your metabolism doesn't seem to slow as quickly.

I also found that I would have Saturdays off the diet, cycle in the morning, then eat whatever I felt like for the rest of the day (usually avoiding fatty things), that really seemed to confuse my metabolism, I usually weighed more by Monday than I had on Friday, but if I dropped my calories back down from Sunday and did some exercise, I could continue to drop again the next week despite having seen my weight loss slow down towards the end of the week.

I comfortably lost 1 kg a week for 13 straight weeks and have kept it off.

Make sure you have a strong mental picture of how you want to look, pay attention to your calories, keep your metabolism guessing and keep regular notes of your weight. The weightloss people say people who weigh themselves every day lose weight much quicker than those who don't because they don't take their eye off the ball.

Good luck !

Hi

Youi can join us as Nothern Farm

There is a group leaving from the coffee shop area Northern Farm on Saturday and Sunday at 08:00 - all levels catered for - group will be split.

We will teach you and suggest skills clinics for you - can help with set up as well - our group is very varied but helpful

Rememeber you need an access ticket for Northern Farm

http://www.northernfarm.co.za/biking.php

Same reason I took up cycling - to lose weight was 112kg in dec am not 94kg and stil losing - so know what it is like - but you on the right plan

hey nbg - i sometimes need newbies to ride with me after my morning-rides - just to force me some more time in the saddle ... where are you based?

this guy http://blog.nomoremisterfatguy.co.za/ keeps a quite inporational (and funny) log of his fight against his weight - go read it, not for tips (because his approach is very unscientific) but to keep yourself motivated :)

hi nbg, i've pm'd you but also, as Ian says, join them sat or sun morning - i'm planning on hooking up with them again this weekend after a great ride with them last sunday

Just a quick 2 cents.

Apparently your body only goes into "fat burning" mode after 45mins of aerobic exercise.

So, you'll burn more fat doing "easy" (HR @ 65% - 70%) for 60mins than doing strenuous exercise for 20 mins.

Much better for your heart and joints AND you don't sweat as much.

Thank you all for the input so far!

This is the bike i brought. Got is new as i have "second hand issues" lol. Didnt want to spend too much starting out, but so far i am very happy with it. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ZA/bikes/model/ovation/7232/43914/ - Mine is blue too.

hi new bike girl :)

i always love hearing about people who start cycling... or any sport for that matter! so CONGRATS :) this is probably the best choice you've made

if you live in the johannesburg area, come pop into the design quarter. i am inside Cycle Lab and work with people just like you :)

enjoy the mountain biking!

:D

Hi all

I am new to the forum and new to biking. Last time i rode a bike was 30 years ago when i was 5 years of age.

Now i have decided to get back on a bike in order to get fit, lose weight and get out and enjoy summer. However i have a few problems and am seeking advice....

1- I have no idea where i can go and ride. The problem is that i am VERY unfit and overweight. For now i am cycling around the block but i need to increase the distance in a safe environment as i am scared stiff of the cars.

2- I have lots of weight to lose (30kgs), so yes, this is a life style change for me as well. I have joined the gym as well and i go every morning, six days a week, to do 20mins on the treadmill :) Not much weight moving though as i literally have to starve myself in order to lose weight. My metabolism is at a dead stand still, not moving at all. I also cycle 3kms each evening around my neighborhood.

3- I would like to find some folk to ride with without feeling like i am a drag - at least until i am in better shape anyhow. Like once a week go for a ride with someone a bit more experienced to curb my nerves, and so that i dont have to feel like the local fat chick on a bike (even though i am just that, but i am changing my lifestyle and i need goals in place to help me along the way). Or find somewhere i can take the bike and go ride for a few kms alone. My first goal is to get to doing 10kms comfortably without half dying and needing a ventilator.

4- Any advice would be welcome and just some starting tips would be cool. I have no idea where to start, how to start, where to ride, etc.

5- I find i have a fair amount of tension in my shoulders and neck after a ride and i feel i should get my bike fitted to me. Where can i go for this, or is there someone who can come to me?

I live on the West Rand, Florida, just off Ontdekkers Road. Can anyone help me? Any info would be appreciated :)