Tubless on non-UST tyres

m4wine

I just bought Continental Mountain Kings - 29 X 2.2. The UST version was not available. Will this still work for a tubeless conversion?

Just bought the 2.0" Mountain kings. I was told the UST tubeless and non UST models are actually exactly the same. Just a lot cheaper since they do no have to pay royalties to market it as UST tubeless. Have not put them on the bike (maybe later this weekend), but will let you know what the result is.

Anybpdy else have an opinion on this?

Thet took you for a ride. There is def a difference between Tubeless and non-tubeless.

m4wine, no problem. Will work fine. A lot of guys ride them like that, especially because of the weight saving.

I understood that the UST version had thicker tyre walls which is why they were heavier but also suitable for tubeless.

But I'm glad to hear the non-UST versions will work and if the weather remotely improves will make the switch and try it this weekend.

Thet took you for a ride. There is def a difference between Tubeless and non-tubeless.

m4wine, no problem. Will work fine. A lot of guys ride them like that, especially because of the weight saving.

...I was told that the rubber compound used on UST tyres is better to that of NON-UST. Yes, NON-UST tyres will work but they also wont last as long and the sealant tends to perish the sidewalls faster.

The 2.2 Conti Mountain King protections are much better for tubeless than the normall MK,they have a thicker sidewall.

@bergbok,where did you get 2.0 Mountain Kings from?

Just bought the 2.0" Mountain kings. I was told the UST tubeless and non UST models are actually exactly the same. Just a lot cheaper since they do no have to pay royalties to market it as UST tubeless. Have not put them on the bike (maybe later this weekend), but will let you know what the result is.

Anybpdy else have an opinion on this?

Your correct, the term UST is a trademark of Mavic. All other are marketed as tubeless rims (e.g. Shimano) or tubeless ready. Same applies to the tyres, if I remember correctly UST was developed by Michelin and Mavic.

Issue of royalties.

Your correct, the term UST is a trademark of Mavic. All other are marketed as tubeless rims (e.g. Shimano) or tubeless ready. Same applies to the tyres, if I remember correctly UST was developed by Michelin and Mavic.

Issue of royalties.

Mavic holds a patent on a specific rim-bed sahpe and the corresponding tyre-bead shape, which it licenses to other companies. To ensure compatibility across brands, however, a product must e certified before it can bear the UST label. This straight from Bicycling SEPT 2010 page 61-64.

Your'e definitely incorrect by saying Shimano tubeless rims are tubeless ready and not UST - just had a look at my XT wheels and the UST label is right on there on the rim..

back to the question... yes you can use non-tubeless tyre for tubeless but the problem is the sidewall is thinner. In essence you have to run higher pressure than you would on tubeless tyres , and sidewall punctures are allot more likely when you run non-tubeless! thats the basic! good luck! btw not sure how 29er would react to non tubeless...mhmmmm? interesting!!!

I converted Conti non-tubeless to tubeless and almost did not finish one of the stages of TransAlps because of it. It split / separated between the beading and sidewall... fortunately another competitor had a spare tyre

The 2.2 Conti Mountain King protections are much better for tubeless than the normall MK,they have a thicker sidewall.

@bergbok,where did you get 2.0 Mountain Kings from?

Got them from Buycycle.co.za at R220 a pop. real bargain!