New chain

Kriek

how many links should I remove when installing a new chain for road bike.is 4 links correct...just double checking

It depends on the distance from your BB to your rear axle, what gear ratios you use and how many links come on a new chain.

If you're just replacing an old chain at 0.5% elongation then just lie the old one next to the new one and break it half a link back from the end of the old chain (or count the links on the old).

Otherwise, read this article:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=26

Run the new chain around the largest gear on your cluster and the bigest chain ring on your cranks WITHOUT going through the rear derailer. With the chain held in position as if it were under tension allow an extra full link (Two half links = 1 inch) if you are using a pin to connect the chain or a half link if you are using a speed link to connect. Just be sure to check that the end links are correct for the join (ie one with inner plates and one with outer plates for a pin and both with inner plates for a speed link) so you may end up with the chain 3 half links longer when held in this position.