Mud Riding

Bikalot

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions with regards to riding your mtb in the mud,ie stoping chain suck and keeping your gears working relatively well untill the end of the race/ride...

also has anyone ever bought one of those squirt syringe things that you attach to your frame and you can lube it will you ride

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LittleBen tells me that spraying 'spray and cook' on your frame, tyres etc. works well. Just don't get it on your rotors/calipers!

Never tried it myself though!

Seriously, the only solution that I have used successfully is getting off the bike to relube, but this was a river crossing on a 70km stage, so I wasn't racing for a win...

MichH2007-08-28 05:51:21

one year it was so muddy at barberton that most people were lying their bikes flat in that little stream crossing near(ish) to the start, but not relubing afterwards. there were so many broken chains it was like the hulk had paid a visit to mpumalanga.

always carry a dry lube, and a rag to dry the chain in my bag. (and a coupla powerlinks)  

HR, we'll DEFINITELY get along! My Camelbak is armd with lube, powerlinks, small medic kit, and other various parts (don't forget duct tape!)

But I have a question to ask that might make or break this budding friendship... what lube do you use? Exclamation

HR - I was there! Dipped my bike (yes the whole thing!) in that big drum thing with water in to try and help! I also always ride with lube (Squirt in my case), a powerlink and a few other things as well.

In fact my LBS owner commented last night that if I had a compass and a box of matches I could ride the Epic unassisted but ja!

HR' date=' we'll DEFINITELY get along! My Camelbak is armd with lube, powerlinks, small medic kit, and other various parts (don't forget duct tape!)

But I have a question to ask that might make or break this budding friendship... what lube do you use? Exclamation
[/quote']

ha, now i can cover all the bases here. working in a bike shop on weekends means i have a lot of stuff at home. i got squirt dry, but love the citrus smell of the giant spray, got white lightning and some weldtite lying too!

still friends?

ps. when you say armed with "various parts", do you mean, like, body parts?LOLLOLLOL

Heeheehee! No, I have a stage race pack that lives in my Camelpak that includes:

Brake pads

Duct tape

Spare tube

Stan's repair kit

Powerlinks

Spare cleat screw

Chain lube

Multitool

Spare seat clamp

Cable ties

Space blanket

Swabs

Savlon

Plasters

Antihistamine

D'ya think I missed anything?!!

Heeheehee! No' date=' I have a stage race pack that lives in my Camelpak that includes:

Brake pads

Duct tape

Spare tube

Stan's repair kit

Powerlinks

Spare cleat screw

Chain lube

Multitool

Spare seat clamp

Cable ties

Space blanket

Swabs

Savlon

Plasters

Antihistamine

[/quote']

Where's your extra deraileur hanger?

HR - I was there! Dipped my bike (yes the whole thing!) in that big drum thing with water in to try and help! I also always ride with lube (Squirt in my case)' date=' a powerlink and a few other things as well.

In fact my LBS owner commented last night that if I had a compass and a box of matches I could ride the Epic unassisted but ja!
[/quote']

when i did mashatu a coupla of weeks (months) back, the other guys mocked me cos i had a huge bag with me. it held a bladder, had space for an ipod, my camera, a can of lube, cable ties, matches (waterproof), chain tool, spoke wrench, and every other tool i got out of my home workshop, four slime tubes, loads of space for bars.

then when they started having mechanicals, i could quote the seminal 80s flick boetie gaan border toe: "he who laughs last, laughs lastest"

Heeheehee! No' date=' I have a stage race pack that lives in my Camelpak that includes:

Brake pads

Duct tape

Spare tube

Stan's repair kit

Powerlinks

Spare cleat screw

Chain lube

Multitool

Spare seat clamp

Cable ties

Space blanket

Swabs

Savlon

Plasters

Antihistamine

[/quote']

tent? disposable braai? minibar? camp chair? fold-up axe?