Ultra light road tubes

MaxUmis

Hi guys,

Does anyone know where to find Ultra light road tubes?

Something less than 60 grams and which is the best and why?

2 examples are Maxxis Flyweight(55g) and Continental Race Supersonics(50g).

Under 60gr I do not know but I bought 65gr Maxxis tubes on Saturday for R50ea from Westedene cycles. Bontrager also makes a very lite one.

I've used the Bontrager UltraLight tubes together with Cont. Force/Attack tyres for about a year and they rode well. It made a noticable difference over standard tube types. I haven't seen them on the LBS shelf too often in the past year and have been too lazy to go look for them, so I've been using the plain-jane type tubes. I saw some Michelin Latex tubes at Olympic Cycles for R160ea and am tempted to use them for racing sometime, but they are $$ !!

Under 60gr I do not know but I bought 65gr Maxxis tubes on Saturday for R50ea from Westedene cycles. Bontrager also makes a very lite one.

The 65g Maxxis tubes are the "Ultralight" ones I think. That's a good buy at R50ea!

Are they any more prone to punctures than normal tubes?

Well, if you think about what causes the bulk of punctures on roads then I would have to say not really.

If a piece of glass sneaks through your tyre, chances are you're going to puncture.

The real advantage comes with saving rotational weight on the bike. So basically, you can shave 100g of the weight of your wheelset for relatively little money.

Problem is, you don't want to puncture your R100 tube doing a training ride... (or yank the valve out of the tube...)

I've used the Bontrager UltraLight tubes together with Cont. Force/Attack tyres for about a year and they rode well. It made a noticable difference over standard tube types. I haven't seen them on the LBS shelf too often in the past year and have been too lazy to go look for them, so I've been using the plain-jane type tubes. I saw some Michelin Latex tubes at Olympic Cycles for R160ea and am tempted to use them for racing sometime, but they are $$ !!

I heard that latex reduces rolling resistance. Why, I have no idea.

They are very $$$ though.

The main reason I use lightweight tubes is that they roll up very small. I can now carry 3 in the same toolbag where others will struggle to fit 2.

They won't puncture easier with glass, which is by far the most common reason in SA. In fact, latex should be less prone, shouldn't it? (are the lightweight ones still latex?)

However:

•  
  • They are more prone to being damaged when swapping (I guess less material means they don't survive pinching.) Use talcum powder.
  • Watch the tube size (21c, 23c, 25c) when inserting in a high-volume clincher (Shimano 7850, Corima, HED C2, Zipp Firecrest), since the 21c will for sure pop under the extra stress, and some 23c will too.
  • Latex will deflate very slowly overnight. Check your pressure regularly.

Hi guys,

Does anyone know where to find Ultra light road tubes?

Something less than 60 grams and which is the best and why?

2 examples are Maxxis Flyweight(55g) and Continental Race Supersonics(50g).

My advice - don't do it!

I got some from CRC and used them with my Continental GP4000s - unless you want to be changing tubes at very regular intervals, I don't think they are worth the 20g weight saving!

My advice - don't do it!

I got some from CRC and used them with my Continental GP4000s - unless you want to be changing tubes at very regular intervals, I don't think they are worth the 20g weight saving!

Interesting... I have a 1 year old Maxxis Ultralight (also from CRC) that's been on 2 different wheelsets and has seen the inside of 3 different tyres. It probably has the best part of 2500km on it. To be fair, the "Ultralight" is the 67g tube and not the 52g Flyweight (thanks for the weights Mampara).

The plan is to run the ultra light tubes in races and use my "kannie dood", stupid heavy, sealant filled Specialized tubes for training.

Latex tubes will mean that you need to pump your tires everyday.

Also you cant fix them. So not worth it for me.

Also doesnt the latex pop if it gets a flat? So you might go from hard to soft in a split second?

Could be very nasty at speed.

I prefer my tyre going down over a few seconds thanks!

I agree with Mampara though, having a smaller tube in your bag is a good reason to do this.

Rather eat less chocolate in the week. There we go, presto 200 Grams saved!

Rather eat less chocolate in the week. There we go, presto 200 Grams saved!

Ja ja, but that 200g isn't the same as a 100g on the outer diameter of the wheel.

Plus it's not the chocolate that's the problem... mmmmm beer... ;)

Well, if you think about what causes the bulk of punctures on roads then I would have to say not really.

If a piece of glass sneaks through your tyre, chances are you're going to puncture.

The real advantage comes with saving rotational weight on the bike. So basically, you can shave 100g of the weight of your wheelset for relatively little money.

Problem is, you don't want to puncture your R100 tube doing a training ride... (or yank the valve out of the tube...)

Ja, that's what I thought.

What does a 'normal' tube weigh in comparison?