Riding Glasses - Prescription Lenses.

Caerus

Hi Guys

Im in the same boat being unable to get contacts into my eyes let alone wear them!!!

I also work for Adidas and the little insert thing, not for me

Did a bit of research and decided to go to an Oakley accredited optometrist. Ordered myself Flak Jackets and presciption lenses. The whole package came to around the R4000.00 mark and is totally worth every cent! With the insert you only have true clarity through the centre of the lens but the way the Oakleys are cut, every single spot you look through is crystal clear!

Pretty cool that you can get one set of lenses and multiple frames... Does the roadie thing justice. Can match my frames to my jocks ;)

Ive seen a pair of adidas frames at Classic Eyes(green & black) that can be done with a full presciption lens as opposed to the inserts. Have you seen these? Can u get them cheaper cause you work for adidas?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could try for you Crack :)

Please find out the model and will get a pair of frames if possible.

Not my department but will try get them for you :)

Personally I dont like the insert. It seems as if its way too close to your eyes. Vision also isnt as clear as with the full prescription I find. Others may feel differently about it. I primarily wear my glasses on the golf course so I need all the vision I can get :P

Could try for you Crack :)

Please find out the model and will get a pair of frames if possible.

Not my department but will try get them for you :)

Personally I dont like the insert. It seems as if its way too close to your eyes. Vision also isnt as clear as with the full prescription I find. Others may feel differently about it. I primarily wear my glasses on the golf course so I need all the vision I can get :P

Ive found the frames, there is a link attached as well. Thanks if you can do something.

http://www.adidas.com/Eyewear/content/products/10244/ambition-spx-fullrim-8-base.

From what they told me at Classic eyes, they lenses can be easily popped out and replaced with different types of coloured lenses as well.

Ok then the lenses will be produced locally

Oakley cuts theirs in the States so it is still the genuine product and the quality is the same :)

Adidas doesnt cut lenses, that I know for a fact so just make sure the lens is of the same quality :)

The frame looks like an RX product not a sunglasses frame.

Protection from the sun will not really make that much of a difference as a lot of UV gets in around the lenses anyway...

Sooooo ...... Crack have you been to busy filling out the mortgage form to go and look at the D'Arcs cycling glasses with inserts.

Ok then the lenses will be produced locally

Oakley cuts theirs in the States so it is still the genuine product and the quality is the same :)

Adidas doesnt cut lenses, that I know for a fact so just make sure the lens is of the same quality :)

They would be local lenses that have my presription, but I can get them so that the lenses change colour in differant light conditions. They can also make them prescirtion with just a yellow full full prescrition lens. They are normal glasses that are made to look like sun glasses( which I like) and the air flow around your eyes is great as well. Ive seen them advertised in the UK at 137 pounds, they are going locally for R2700.

Do you think its a good idea to go this route?

I have both, adidas evil eye pro's (dark, orange, yellow & silver/grey spare lenses) & Rudy project Rydon's with impact Rx lenses (grey to clear lense). Both pairs have my prescription lenses in them. I used the Adidas for three years & have been using the Rudy's for just over one year.

Both are good but I personally find the Rudy's are far better with the photochromic lenses, it means less hassle not having to change the lenses all the time & constantly having to wipe away dirty finger marks left behind on the lenses when you change them. The photochromic lenses work & adapt really well to changing light conditions, I even use them when I go do night rides on my mtb. Quality of the lenses & frames are awesome! Cost me R1599 from CWC & about ±R700 for the inserts. Extra cost would be for the eye test?

I have had to replace the dark lenses on the adidas twice because the tinting began peeling off? Not sure why they did that. Oh, & I had to replace an arm on the frame that broke off when I dropped them. They also don't fit as nicely as the Rudy's because the Rudy's frames can be adjusted better.

I now use the Adidas as my spare pair & every day use & the Rudy's for riding only. Im not saying the Adidas are rubbish, Im just saying I think the Rudy's are much better. My two cents...

I use Adi Evil Eyes - cost me a little under R2k, and every 2 years when I update my prescription the optometrist does my inserts for me really cheap.

The only problem I have with them is that sometimes sweat drops between the insert and the lense... and then you can't clean it till you stop :angry: And sometimes when it's cold the darm things fog up - mo use the evil eye lenses are anti fog, but the inserts are normal :huh: But you get used to it being close to your eyes... and oh ja - the lenses do start to peel for no reason after a year and a half :angry:

Can't wear contacts, so this is the best solution I've found. Tried to look at Oakleys but I was quote R5k + for their RX range... that's a bit too much IMO.

Kieran - I'm gona have a look at your when we train for the DC (I see we are riding in the same team B) )

i've ridden with Bolle's and now ride with Rudy's when it comes to those with inserts. my eyes are not simply "oooh, i'm shortsighted" or whatever - i've had corneal grafts in both and have extreme astigmatism and relatively bad myopia. as such i have a VERY strong script and contact lenses are NOT an option (nor is lasic). due to weight etc the "low end" frames and inserts aren't an option. i love my Rudy's to pieces and will not likely every use any other sports glasses.

prior to my surgery, while i could still force contacts into my eyes, i used more affordable specs - d'arcs and polaroids etc. they were fine for what i needed them to do. they just can not meet all my requirements now. if you don't need a hectic script (ie if weight and refraction of the light between the insert and the lens are not an issue) then look at the cheaper ones.

i use multifocal's and the optician here in Vredenberg could only give me small bifocals for addidas where as with Rudy's they can make multi focals . So my Rudy's are almost done and will be my new riding specs . :D

was in the same boat

using the addidas ones now and happy, came with two lenses, dark and orange (antifog). Find the dark lenses with my presciption lenses alters the depth of perception though.

I agree with the above. Have had my Addidas for 6 months. Am very happy with them but they do affect the depth perception. My perception anyway.

So are photocromic lenses better then the different coloured lenses then? Secondly are thre a pair of adidas sunglasses that take just full prescrition and not the inserts? I was told by the sales lady at Classic eyes that there are, but i cant seem to find the exact model of these adidas glasses. Ive been told they are a new model but I cant find anything about them.

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.

This may seem like a stupid question, but with the adidas range of prescription frames. Would it make a difference wearing the "running or golf" specific frames for cycling, personally I dont see it making a difference. The reason im asking is the "running" glasses(Adizero & adivista) do not need an optical insert, you can have the whole lens as a presciption which are also interchangeable. Shape wise and fit are pretty much the same as the "cycling range".

Any feedback would be great.