Riding Glasses - Prescription Lenses.

Caerus

Anyone know the best frames to look at if I want to get some presciption lenses out into them. I cant wear contacts. Ive looked at the adidas range, but they dont seem to great, also very expensive

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know the best frames to look at if I want to get some presciption lenses out into them. I cant wear contacts. Ive looked at the adidas range, but they dont seem to great, also very expensive

was in the same boat

using the addidas ones now and happy, came with two lenses, dark and orange (antifog). Find the dark lenses with my presciption lenses alters the depth of perception though.

The only thing about those adidas frames was the air flow around your eyes doesnt seem to good.

I have used the adidas shield with prescription inserts and both pairs of glasses (orange and black tint) have broken where the insert clips into frame.

I saw the advert in ride magazine about the Rudy project impact RX prescription lenses and contacted my optometrist(spelling),he sent the precription to Rudy Project,they make the lenses in italy(photochromatic grey) and 5 weeks later I have the best glasses for MTB and road.

I have used the adidas shield with prescription inserts and both pairs of glasses (orange and black tint) have broken where the insert clips into frame.

I saw the advert in ride magazine about the Rudy project impact RX prescription lenses and contacted my optometrist(spelling),he sent the precription to Rudy Project,they make the lenses in italy(photochromatic grey) and 5 weeks later I have the best glasses for MTB and road.

Can u get a set of differant lenses made up? I dont want to have to take out a second mortgage just to see while riding, although it would help.

I am riding with the Adidas ones.

Absolutely phenomenal, love them.

I am on my second set. Destroyed first set in a huge crash.

All in all inserts +lenses +Frames = R2800 from Stanley and Dekock, and its claimible via medical aid

For the extra money it is definitely worth it - less lense surfaces to keep clean,full prescription view through the lenses - it's great to see clearly through the top of the lenses when you are in the drops and also your peripheral vision

I use the D'Arcs with optical insert. You get a blank insert that must be filled with your prscription lenses. The fancypants calls them "welding glasses" ...... that is only because they have no fancy brand name, but do look at them, they work and has a lifetime guarantee. After two years of use I sat on mine and broke the clear lenses, they gave me a completely new pair of glasses. So now I have a spare.

I use the cheapies, Ocean Action Eyewear from a LBS with optical inserts. You get a blank insert with them that must be filled with your prescription lenses. I had my bifocal lenses done for + - R 1000.00 by my optician. The frame and lenses cost me about R 450.00 with clear,dark brown and orange,yellow lenses. Had them now for 3 years wiff no hassles. Looks like Dr Spock but who the fluc cares, at least i can see where i go and still read my Garmin. :lol:

Hi Guys

Im in the same boat being unable to get contacts into my eyes let alone wear them!!!

I also work for Adidas and the little insert thing, not for me

Did a bit of research and decided to go to an Oakley accredited optometrist. Ordered myself Flak Jackets and presciption lenses. The whole package came to around the R4000.00 mark and is totally worth every cent! With the insert you only have true clarity through the centre of the lens but the way the Oakleys are cut, every single spot you look through is crystal clear!

Pretty cool that you can get one set of lenses and multiple frames... Does the roadie thing justice. Can match my frames to my jocks ;)

I'm also thinking of doing the oakly route... I know its expensive but as you've now heard, its apparantly worth it. How much does it cost for Laser treatment? I'm a compeditive Junior MTBer age 18 and desperate for some vision... hehe

Stay away from laser... I know a few ppl who have had it, 3 being family. Its great initially but your eyes do deteriorate and a lot quicker than they do now.

Go the Oakley route. You cannot tell my glasses are prescription until I take them off my face. Where are you based? More than welcome to come past and have a look if you'd like :)

See what the final product looks like :)

Has anyone tried the Tifosi range of glasses with optical inserts? They dont look to bad and are priced more reasonably then the Oakley & rudy project. The idea of looking through a full prescription lens appeals to me more. Whats it like looking through the little inserts? Doesnt it only give a partial view.