Heaven and hell service

infernox

i dont mean to be strange but have you gotten the bikes stripped and checked IANJ?

personally i would' date=' because if they dont check one bike, it means they actually dont check quite a few in the long run
[/quote']

I have actually serviced them myself and have not found any problems. One thing that is strange is that most bikes are largely pre-assembled and only things like pedals and bars etc are fitted by the shop. I wonder if your problems are not more factory related than anything, i wouldn't have thought that a shock would be shipped from the factory without oil.

I can't agree with your second statement about checking all bikes. If you get a dud car from the factory (Monday car) it doesn't mean that all cars from that same factory will also be dud.

I have watched Solomons assembling our bikes and although they are obviously not the professional staff that you will find at your local LBS they do a reasonable job.

Thanks IanJ for providing your experiences. Its good for healthy debate to have experiences from both sides of the coin.

I don't know why bikes are such a complicated thing, maybe there are just too many business owners that think it is an easy industry and because the customer can be so easily misled?

no, then we disagree. mikes bikes check all bikes because they are mass produced and they dont believe in giving a bad bike to a client.

and if you spend 1000 or 20000, its your money and safety they put on the line if a pro "fitter" does not built your bike.

You can be glad you weren't told to replace everything on your bike because everything is crap.

thanx the good lord for that, i knew what i was in for when i bought it component wise, i did alot of research and made sure the bike was fitted with the right stuff before i bought it.

I bought my Gary Fisher Tassajara from Solomons three years back. I got a 9 speed Deore bike for R3000-00. I printed the bike specs and went to buy. At the store I found it did not have specced wheels on the bike. I told them and they wanted R400-00 extra to have the "real" wheels. I turned around a walked out. He called me back and I got the bike for R3000-00 with the proper specced wheels. Hendrik Petoors2007-08-29 04:04:03

IanJ - I would agree with your thoughts:-

1) Never got a shock that came without oil ex-factory (would really surprise me!)

2) If that amount of oil leaked out you would surely know!

3) When you buy a shock and fit it yourself there is nothing in the instructions that says check the oil! In fact it's ready to go!