Books for Bikes

leet22

Hey Guys

Below is self explanatory :D

Bike and Saddle, in association with the SABDC, and in support of National Book Week ( see http://www.booknews.co.za/modules.php?name=News <http://www.booknews.co.za/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=277> &file=article&sid=277 ), is proud to bring to your attention Books On Bikes – a grassroots initiative to create awareness and support for reading, literacy and education while promoting active lifestyles as a sure way to foster and cultivate active minds.

This, the first year to host National Book Week (NBW), Books On Bikes in two parallel events, is reaching out to all South Africans in a number of our major towns and cities as part of its national campaign launch.

The first event, a road and cycle trip, (www.rideforreading.co.za) which we hope to expand into a proper cycle challenge in the following years, will depart Cape Town on September 03 with a contingent of youth from the Youth Empowerment Project ( http://www.yepclan.blogspot.com ), visiting all major centers and arriving Johannesburg on September 10, simultaneous with the official opening of the NBW.

The aim is to meet with representatives of the book industry (book sellers and anyone who wish to support the initiative) and the bicycle industry, in every town and city we visit during this year’s road trip; as well as with town and city mayors, the local press and media, and persons and organizations with an affinity for our theme of ‘Active Minds inspire Active Bodies’.

We aim to collect donated books along the way from those attending our briefing sessions, to be handed over to SABDC upon the opening of NBW on September 10, at which time we’ll be announcing the annual Books On Bikes Day, earmarked for the first weekend in December, and securing partnerships for this, our main project (and 2nd parallel event in support of NBW).

Briefing sessions will take place at our overnight accommodation venues during the road trip (details to be posted on our website at www.booksonbikes.org), sponsored by Southern Sun Hotels, and attendees will have the opportunity to meet with us, our youth cyclists and book worms, and witness a short presentation on the youth program, and our annual Book Collection Drive scheduled for December:

The first Saturday and Sunday in December, the public is invited to load-up with books they wish to donate, climb on their bicycles and cycle to their local bicycle or book store (participating stores), where they will deposit their donated books, interact with their fellow book and bike lovers and provide a critical mass element to the drive. And in doing so, generate further support and awareness for books, reading and literacy and for cycle friendly towns and cities. Donated, in association with SABDC and NBW will be distributed to school and community libraries where a need for reading material exists.

To summarize, we would like to invite you to attend any/all of our briefing sessions between Sept 03 and 10 during our road show and to consider supporting and participating in our annual December book collection drive. First briefing will be held at the Cullinan Hotel, Cape Town, at 9am on September 03.

You can read more about Books On Bikes by visiting www.booksonbikes.org. (the portal will be updated regularly towards NBW)