How bad is the New Top Cycling Magazine

Mr Woo

Not much positive to say I am afraid. Very poor design and layout...content either out of date or so basic or canned as to be an insult to

anyone interested in cycling. At R29 a waste of money...they will have to get their act together if they want to keep this one on the shelves.

Who is interested in the Engen morning ride anyway except the guys from the Lab and mates...won't sell too many via them as they know it all anyway.

Poor advertisers...like investing in a horse...eats your money while you sleep...in this case while it gathers dust on the shelves.

0/10! See me after school Maurice!

yep, needs a bit of work.

I am hoping the stuff was out-of-date because of a missed printing schedule given that it's the 1st edition rather than by design

I thought they had great pics in the mag. I think they are aiming at the more sa pro and europe pro schene. Hope so actually. And good quality the paper and printing itself. Give them a chance. Just like in cycling, everybody starts somewhere and nobody gets clip in pedals in the beginning. They just have to learn the ropes. Give it a chance.

for a 1st issue its not to bad, if you want to be disapointed buy the Sep issue of bicycling mag not really much in it and they had 2 months to bring it out

It`s only the first edition guy - give them a chance. The critisism should be seen by them as "get-your-act-together" feedback though.

Bicycling is a poor quality yuppy mag and Ride mag kicks it badly, lets hope the New Top Cycling Magazine improves and then Bicycling mag will rue it's apathy to years of criticism and no change.

It`s only the first edition guy - give them a chance. The critisism should be seen by them as "get-your-act-together" feedback though.

Please. Tread set the benchmark for first issues and proved its very possible to do it right from the beginning.

Can't believe the response. What if you spent a few grand on ads to get into the first edition and it ends up looking like that! Flaky. You can't take articles that everyone has seen and republish them...come on guys. First editions are normally collectors items because they have had months of thought and research put into them...they should wow the public not have them saying..."jaaa, not so bad, give him another chance"...wake up dudes!

If you had a chance to interview Daryl Impey for your first edition...like this is Lance's right hand man...would you ask him how he takes a piss while on the bike? Come on again! Who's blowing off who?

Ha HA Ha, Bicycling Magazine.........RIDE LIKE A PRO, TODAY! Yeah right.

Hahaha indeed - as a total magaholic - my girlfriend will testify as to the growing piles every month that are being kept for 'research' I get so grumpy with the local magazines.

Last month Bicycling told us Lance had won 9 tours - I wonder if he knows that. Whoever let that through needs to be demoted to burger flipper. To the latest dog's breakfast: Slap a pretty boy on the cover - who cares if he is actually a cyclist or not (he looks in a lot of pain for a sprint in granny gear, not that you can tell the picture is so out of focus) - and a tempting Tour de France promise on the cover, which turns out to be dead boring(quotes nicked off Cyclingnews.com and arb pics). And I tried hard to read Dr Swart's article on power meters, but it looked like somebody's dog threw up on it.

Top Cycle screwed it up royally. The first edition should knock the socks off the reader. News that is two months old, nicked features on climbs from a Tour that has been and gone, social commentary on the soccer world cup (I thought it was a cycling mag?), all in all another crap effort in a market littered with average and worse magazines. Disappointing from both.

Ride plods along merrily, never bad, never wonderful. At least the guys and girls who put it together ride bikes, I am not sure the people at Bicycling or Top Cycle do? I may be wrong on both counts, if they do it doesn't show in the product, at all.

Mountain Biker - thinner every month/two months/year (how often does it come out anyway?) But there seems to be some enthusiasm, which I like. Just more of it, please.

Tread is pick of the bunch now. Nice local writing and photography, reviews that seem to tell the truth, not what the advertisers want to hear. If there is something k*k, then it needs to be printed - look at the popularity of top gear, who don't give a sh*t about telling Mercedes the build quality on their cars is bad. Sometimes they can be a little too local-is-lekker, and the paper they use is horrible.

I think there are more lurking - GoMulti - aka Adventure Racing KZN. Some triathlon mags.

Actually, not much at all. And we have such a strong cycling scene here. I guess that is what disappoints me most about Top Cycle - I think we are crying out for a decent mag, and this could have been it.

im a first time Hubber and i saw this mag too. what a schocker!!.

no man. like you said the first one must be the best one...cause you had so much time to prepare.what they gonna do

when they got deadlines?