blisters?!?!?

dylankeyter

Wrong forum to ask that kind of question. You may even have trouble getting an answer on www.runnersworld.co.za because they all run with running shoes.

Assume you were being chased by a wounded lion? Why else would anyone run that far - and barefoot?

OK here my advice !

Pop it

Put mithlilate or similiar product and keep it open !

I am however with Sean on this one ! Why ?

It depends on how much of a maschist you are. THe simple way is to drain it. Use a needle (sterilied) and thread. Pull the thread through the blister. Cut the needle free and leave the thread running through the blister. Failing to do this will result in the "holes" closing and the blister reforming. THe old SADF way was to inject mithilate into the blister. THis is very painfull, but it does dry the blister and harden the skin.

Something that sounds funny but works well if the skin is not broken yet:

Dip a piece of sewing thread (?) (garing, man) in spirits. Put it through a needle that was also dipped in the spirits. Make a big stitch in the skin that's over the fluid and tie a knot in the thread. Keep it like that for a few days until it heals. This really works as it keeps the fluid draining without the skin coming off. We have done this on hiking trails before and I would never treat it differently.

Damn, Konafan! You're faster than me!
Rakker2007-08-29 09:12:08

forgot my shoes at home and had to do an interhouse cross country event, came 6th even though i was the only one barefoot!Embarrassed

thanks for the suggestions but the problem is that i only have two days for it to heal Unhappy

Try the needle and thread method. We usually put our hiking boots on the next day and hike another 15km. Usually without a problem.

i wont lie, its the first time iv had a serious blister and never had to revert to the needle method, it sounds pretty messy... but i should follow your word i guess ! thanks :)

Methylate is the way to go if you're in a hurry.

Run a needle with thread thru it a few times, therefore making a few holes.

Then put methylate on the outside, it'll seep in thru the holes. Warning, it might make you glow a bit.

Don't cut the blistered skin off as that'll just expose the softer layer under.

Repeat Methylate a few times a day.

Works 100% for paddlers that are silly enough not to use dubbin/vaseline on their hands in multiday events...