Power Geek Gizmo Heaven!!

bruce

Received this on the wattage forum today!

Greetings!

First of all, I would like to thank you for expressing your interest in Quarq. Cycling and technology are our passion and we are very excited about our upcoming products.

Today is full of big announcements and it?s all about ANT+Sport. ANT+Sport is a 2.4 GHz wireless network with standardized communication between devices including bike power sensors, speed sensors, cadence sensors and heart rate straps. This allows separate manufacturers to independently develop sensors and computers, allowing you to pick and choose your favorites to create a system that meets your needs.

This is wonderful for bicycle power measurement because it introduces something new ? choice. Within ANT+Sport, you will be able to choose a power sensor and choose a computer separately. There are other ANT+Sport sensors that will be available and interchangeable also ? including speed, cadence and heart rate.

So what products are on ANT+Sport? The Quarq CinQo and Qranium are ANT+Sport, as is the new

Garmin 705. Take a look at the 705?s product description and you will see the phrase ?third-party ANT + Sport-enabled power meters?. That includes the Quarq CinQo.

Eurobike starts tomorrow and Interbike is just around the corner, so keep an eye out for more product announcements from other companies. Also check back to Quarq.us for updates. This is going to get interesting!

Ride on,

Jim Meyer

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So last time I checked their web site they still only had that picture of the box connected to the crank. This picture of the CinQ looks like they are getting closer to a prototype but the release date of Dec 2007 - mmm?. I'm hoping that it is not just vaporware with the real focus being on the computer product. But that also looks like it could be a good thing if the PT and SRM people buy into it. I wonder???

Powertap is already using the 2.4GHz protocol, so the 705 should be compatible with the Wireless PT.

Would like to hear whether PT, SRM or even Ergomo are going to buy into this ANT thing. The idea sounds really good for us consumers but it reduces the power meter people to strain gage manufacturers. Any "value add" that they currently perceive to be giving them a competitive edge is down the tube.

Would like to hear whether PT' date=' SRM or even Ergomo are going to buy into this ANT thing. The idea sounds really good for us consumers but it reduces the power meter people to strain gage manufacturers. Any "value add" that they currently perceive to be giving them a competitive edge is down the tube.
[/quote']

But if you look at the CPU functionality of the PT and the SRM, it is relatively poor compared to other systems.  Seems like you can have a reliable power meter, or a good CPU, but not both!

Powertap is already using the 2.4GHz protocol' date=' so the 705 should be compatible with the Wireless PT.[/quote']I doubt it very much. They may use the 2.4Ghz bluetooth band & format but I seriously doubt that the PT conforms to the "ANT protocol". I guess like saying that you should be able to "read" your PT from your bluetooth enabled laptop. I haven't tried but I doubt that it is possible. Also my impression that things like the auto torque zero'ing of the PT occurs in the computer. How would the Garmin deal with that?

Powertap is already using the 2.4GHz protocol' date=' so the 705 should be compatible with the Wireless PT.[/quote']I doubt it very much. They may use the 2.4Ghz bluetooth band & format but I seriously doubt that the PT conforms to the "ANT protocol". I guess like saying that you should be able to "read" your PT from your bluetooth enabled laptop. I haven't tried but I doubt that it is possible. Also my impression that things like the auto torque zero'ing of the PT occurs in the computer. How would the Garmin deal with that?

The new PT HR strap is the ANT strap - compatible with the Garmin 305 and vice versa.  Haven't tested the wireless speed and cadence sensor that I got with the Garmin, but will do so.

Would like to hear whether PT' date=' SRM or even Ergomo are going to buy into this ANT thing. The idea sounds really good for us consumers but it reduces the power meter people to strain gage manufacturers. Any "value add" that they currently perceive to be giving them a competitive edge is down the tube.

[/quote']

But if you look at the CPU functionality of the PT and the SRM, it is relatively poor compared to other systems.  Seems like you can have a reliable power meter, or a good CPU, but not both!
I agree, this ANT thing would be great. They are talking about making the source for their computer freeware so it wouldn't be long at all before you had Power software for GPS enabled phones, PDA's etc. BUT I have doubts that the SRM's & PT people will allow themselves to be relegated to strain gage mnfrs - not a market position that they could hang onto for long.

On the other hand I can see every reason for Garmin to push this protocol as it lets them into the power meter side of things. They have all of the value in their computers/display/GPS units already and this lets them hang the "power sensors" onto them.

Interesting times ahead.

Windbreaker2007-08-29 14:27:03

[/quote']

I agree, this ANT thing would be great. They are talking about making the source for their computer freeware so it wouldn't be long at all before you had Power software for GPS enabled phones, PDA's etc. BUT I have doubts that the SRM's & PT people will allow themselves to be relegated to strain gage mnfrs - not a market position that they could hang onto for long.

Hmmn, don't think I agree with you there.  Why would Garmin invest in making the 705 ANT compatible then?  They certainly won't be making a power meter themselves, and Quarq have their own GPS enabled CPU, so Garmin must have relationships with the other guys.

We missed each other - my edit explains why I think Garmin is very keen to push this but I don't see the upside for Saris & SRM.

Added: Quarq don't actually have anything yet except some pictures and I would not be surprised if Garmin is funding (or at least very actively encouraging) them.

Windbreaker2007-08-29 14:33:29

Mmm we missed each other - my edit explains why I think Garmin is very keen to push this but I don't see the upside for Saris & SRM.

How about the fact that they don't have the development capability to develop leading edge "consumer type" electronic interfaces like the Garmin CPU?  Their current ones are outdated and certainly don't provide them with competitive advantage.  They are falling behind their competitors (Polar, Ergomo, iBike) on the CPU side of things and need a big technology refresh.

In which case they had better try their damndest to get bought by someone like Garmin or Polar before their patents run out or they are heading down a one-way road which is getting narrower by the day.

These damn corporate bullies. Wink

I think there is merit to tthese open systems:

- each vendor sticks to their core competance.

- Consumer can chose best of bread components.

- Competition drives down prices.