Pretoria Monument

graham cube

Hi

So i have read that there are trails around the monument. I would just like to know where would I park my car?

Thanks

There is a parking lot in front of the monument building and then the trail starts near the restaurant. It is well marked.

Enjoy the ride is does burn the legs abit

There is a parking lot in front of the monument building and then the trail starts near the restaurant. It is well marked.

Enjoy the ride is does burn the legs abit

Thanks very much. Might do the ride this coming Sunday.

• 3 weeks later...

Trail pretty much starts at the "Amphi", but you can park at the restaurant and cycle down (if you want to cycle back up again :P) went there this morning, great ride and well marked routes.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy..... Can anybody tell me if there is any singletrack (marked green routes) on the railway side of the the hill? Most of the track is on single track untill you get to that side, then it is just jeep track ?!??!! I am affraid I might be missing some fun.... :rolleyes:

post-4575-004432700 1285565390.jpg

The best single track can be found on that side on the Green route !! As soon as you enter the gate take a turn left , there is a green MTB sign and just follow signs

The best single track can be found on that side on the Green route !! As soon as you enter the gate take a turn left , there is a green MTB sign and just follow signs

Yip...did that, but is there singletrack on the "railway" side or only jeeptrack?

dammm......... then I must have missed a turn or something. I was riding next to the fence for about 1 or 2km..... and then got to a tar road before turing left. down the hill, and back on the s-track.

:lol: No , NO you definitly missed a turn . Once you through the gate and you cycle up to the top (Turning right takes you to parking area) you will see a single track to your left . if you follow the signs it stays single track till you exit behind the restaurant .

......ok and from the restaurant I follow the tar road, go down the hill, get a T, turn right go up the hill for about 50m turn left onto some jeeptrack turn left againa after 150m..... from there you end up next to the fence on the railway side (next to the gautrain).... is THERE any singletrack going towards the tower at the top and back down or do I follow the track next to the fence?

Here is a view of the one going to Schanskop.

But don't forget to go in and look at the monument itself, what a building.

And attached a view of the Monument from Schanskop, it will give you an indication of how much higher you climb to the fort.

post-4100-031098800 1285586868.jpg

post-4100-060414800 1285586907.jpg

post-4100-019745400 1285586987.jpg

There is a single track going up to the tower , it is called Neville's revenge . But I don't think it is part of the MTB route , hiking trail most probably . There is a gate on that side that is locked . Once you opposite this gate start looking for a trail that goes towards the right up the hill .

Dangle, do you know if there is any singletrack on the "back side" of the Schanskop hill (your middle pic)? I know of the track next to the fence, but anything else going up and down the hill?