Thinking about commuting to work

Gumpie

Hey guys.

I started a new job in Sandton 2 weeks ago and i live in Midrand.

Now i would really be interested in trying out riding to work. Just a few questions

1. Is it safe to ride alone. I will always be riding on side paths and never in dodgy areas.

2. I will be doing it on a MTN bike. Would this be fine?

3. What routes would you reccommend?

4. I work for a finacial company so dress code is quite important. How do you cycle to work and still manage to look neat during the day?

I am thinking i should try it out early on Sat or Sun morning just to see how it goes

Hey guys.

I started a new job in Sandton 2 weeks ago and i live in Midrand.

Now i would really be interested in trying out riding to work. Just a few questions

1. Is it safe to ride alone. I will always be riding on side paths and never in dodgy areas.

You can never be sure. Stay on well-lit and busy routes.

2. I will be doing it on a MTN bike. Would this be fine?

Can't see why not.

3. What routes would you reccommend?

Can't help you there…I'm an East Rander.

4. I work for a finacial company so dress code is quite important. How do you cycle to work and still manage to look neat during the day?

I used to take a bag in one day a week with a couple of days' supply of clothes, and soap, towels, etc. Beats lugging a bag in every day. Does your company have showers?

I am thinking i should try it out early on Sat or Sun morning just to see how it goes

First two questions you need to figure out for yourself, but the road to sandton isn't too dangerous.

Where in midrand and where in sandton?

I cycle from Centurion to my offices in Woodmead.

We have showers and lockers at the offices, so keep clothes and accesories there.

I keep of main roads as far as possible and mtb helps with keeping on the ground beside the road.

@stewie911. I stay in Vorna Valley and i am working at the JSE in central Sandton.

I was thinking of going through Woodmead, then to morningside and up Rivonia road to Sandton.

Commuting is great if the roads can handle it.

I would love to commute the 82 Km to work and back daily (I work in Halfway House cycling from Little Falls), but leave that pleasure only for December, when the traffic is slightly less, and I'm more flexible time-wise, i.e. when I can leave the office before peak hour.

Hope there's a shower smile.gif

Good luck, it's an awesome way to start the day

when i was still working in sandton, i often commuted - it was faster than by car every day except between xmast and new year .... (i still do, but am now in rosebank and there's a shower at work)

dress code - i did the washbasin thing, even washed my hair under the tap - one gets used to it very quickly.

bike i kept in the office. it's easier though if you're female - my office clothes weigh much less than a suit, it packs smaller and i do the wrinkle-test on anything before i buy

MTB's the only way to go - it's much more fun - theres often trails next to the roads you were planning to take ... and it's way easier to dodge taxis when you have to share the tar with them

enjoy - it's great arriving at work having fwelt the wind in your hair before work!

Just don't waste your money or endanger your life by getting slicks (1.25). I nearly wiped out a few times on those. I got myself some Town & Country's 1.95 and they are perfect for my daily commute.

At least one advantage with a MTB is you can make like a Sandton 4x4 and climb pavements.

Getting puncture-proof tyres also help depending where you ride - getting a puncture a day riding past bottle stores and various informal ranks doesn't help the cause much. Besides, the extra rotating mass is good training for the weekend rides, oops, races!

I cycle from Centurion to my offices in Woodmead.

We have showers and lockers at the offices, so keep clothes and accesories there.

I keep of main roads as far as possible and mtb helps with keeping on the ground beside the road.

Jaku, what route do you ride?

I'm from Irene and want to commute to sunninghill on some days.

I'm in Centurion and cycle to New Road. I'll be happy to meet up with you guys on the way.

Getting puncture-proof tyres also help depending where you ride - getting a puncture a day riding past bottle stores and various informal ranks doesn't help the cause much. Besides, the extra rotating mass is good training for the weekend rides, oops, races!

2 Tubes = 100 bucks

Valve core remover = 15 bucks

Non-branded OKO = 70 bucks

Worth the time and effort. After 3500 km of commuting I've never had a puncture on my tubes with sealant but did have a puncture on my first commute without sealant :)