Heart Rate

So I did try to search for this on the forums but came up wanting.

Basically I decided to experiment last night and sleep with the hearth rate monitor on to monitor my heart rate from sleepy time to wake up time.

Attached is the plot of my heart rate over the night last night.

Now my question is...can anyone help in interpreting this?

I See there was a 30 min period in which my heart rate was in the mid 30's...kind of low...But then there are all the spikes up to close to 100 bpm...Is this related to dreaming or what?

Dunno if it helps, but I am 28 years old (as of this past Tuesday).

Has anyone else ever tried this "experiment"....Maybe give it a go and upload your graphs...Could be fun to experiment...Maybe even get a scientific paper out of it someday laugh.gif

post-10323-000116700 1282813597.jpg

How do you feel in the mornings, tired? I think, if its anything to go by, it would be interesting to see. Should maybe try it and see how I react, have never been good at sleeping. Stress, illness, conditions , psycho and other problems would reak havoc with your heartrate even at night.

the 36 bpm looks like a glitch as it 'plummeted' to that level, what was the average for the night... I'm amazed that sleep is sucjh hard work!

might be an interesting test to do again after a hard race or long workout, your body recovers while sleeping so it might look different.

Do feel a little tired in the morning....

As for a glitch...I get what you are saying, but then why does it stay constant over like 30 min?

I was thinking the spikes could be when I turn over in the night and need to use muscles to do so I reckon...

The average for the night is 60, but that is obscured by the "spikes". I would have to look at the mode, but don;t feel like extracting the data to Excel and analyzing it right now... sad.gif

Yeah, I am going for a good ride on Saturday in PE, so will monitor Sat night as well...

But I think I am going to start monitoring this at least every second night...It might be pretty interesting laugh.gif

Interesting that the closer to wake-up time the more the spikes, so if it is, as you say, related to turning around, you seem to get more restless closer to morning.

Was thinking about doing the same exercise. Will give a go tonite and post as soon as I can.

Will be interesting.

You only get up at 08:00 - that is awasome!

Would love to see a graph for gaming or getting some leg-over, that should be funny.

Cool excersize!

This is very interesting... What is your resting HR? What was your average HR over the night?

My resting HR taken anytime during the day is roughly 47BPM... I check often just when I wake up and I normally am between 35 to 40BPM...

Everyone's body is different but obviously resting HR is linked to one's fitness level.

Yeah, I do notice I am more restless in the morning from say around 5:30 when I get to that semi-awake and uncomfortable state...

Wannabe, will be cool to see other people's graphs too, so I am looking forward to it.

Does anybody know how to export the Heart Rate (or any other data) from the Garmin (or Sport Tracks) software into a table type format?

Lol...I will wear it next time I am playing Counter Strike online...It would spike like crazy during a clan match tongue.gif

Oh...yeah, living in George I get out of bed at 07:30 to get to work on time by 08:00 laugh.gif All 1.3 km away

My resting HR is in the late 50's, around 58 or so. The average heart rate over the night was 60 bpm, but I think that is being distorted by those "spikes" where I am presumable turning over or something (dreaming of the blonde laugh.gif)

Not saying this is it, but have you ever heard of Sleep Apnea? Do you struggle to stay awake during the day?

I recently went for observation at a sleep lab and was diagnosed with sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is a condition where the muscles in your throat relax, while you are asleep, and your airway collapses causing you to stop breathing. When I went for the observation I stopped breathing more than 25 times per night for between 15 and 45 seconds at a time. Obviously, when you stop breathing your heart rate jumps (for me) from +- 50 bpm to over 100bpm. It’s quite a serious condition causing excessive tiredness/sleepiness during the day and can lead to everything from diabetes to a stroke.

Causes are either weight related or hereditary and common in men with a BMI of over 30.

It’s treated by sleeping with a CPAP machine. It’s a machine that forces air through your airway throughout the night preventing your airway from collapsing.

I’m not saying this is what you have, but this was the reason for my heart rate fluctuating significantly throughout the night...

Hey Squier, thanks for the info, but I am pretty sure I don't have that ... thankfully.

A couple o my friends have been diagnosed with it though.

As far as I know nobody in the family has it and my BMI is hovering around 23, so am safe in that dep.

Also, don't you occasionally wake up gasping for air?

I am sometimes tired during the day...but that is usually after a late night, or when I have gone long periods without decent exercise sad.gif