Lost City MTB Race

GlennSCrooks

I just wanted to have my two cents worth about the MTB Race at Lost City the weekend of the 22nd August..

Firstly.. What an Awesome Ride.. It was so much fun.. Thanks.. :lol:

Secondly.. The Rant Part.. The Pros on the Course.. They came FLYING past us at about 15 KM whistling and screaming at us for us to move out of the way on a Single Track..

Ok.. Granted.. They are Pro and this is how they make their living.. However.. We are there participating and ensuring that Events like these take place..

We pay our entry fee to use the course and therefore have just as much of a right to be on the course as everyone else.. :(

We are not pro and we are unfit and having fun with a day out in the sun with our family waiting for us on the finish line..

Let us have our fun. :lol:

I don't know.. what do you think ?

I just wanted to have my two cents worth about the MTB Race at Lost City the weekend of the 22nd August..

Firstly.. What an Awesome Ride.. It was so much fun.. Thanks.. :lol:

Secondly.. The Rant Part.. The Pros on the Course.. They came FLYING past us at about 15 KM whistling and screaming at us for us to move out of the way on a Single Track..

Ok.. Granted.. They are Pro and this is how they make their living.. However.. We are there participating and ensuring that Events like these take place..

We pay our entry fee to use the course and therefore have just as much of a right to be on the course as everyone else.. :(

We are not pro and we are unfit and having fun with a day out in the sun with our family waiting for us on the finish line..

Let us have our fun. :lol:

I don't know.. what do you think ?

The Pro's should surely have gone off ahead of everyone and not had the issue of slower traffic? But I do agree if you are talking about the singletrack, where are you supposed to go?

In general, respect for the faster guys is due where it's possible and make way, especially on hills so they don't lose momentum. I had an instance last year (one of teh Nissan series rides). Guy came up behind me (don't think he was a pro) on a singletrack and 'told' me to move over - bearing in mind that it was burnt grass and huge tufts on either side - he got 'told' back to F*&%*& off and go around me....

The "Pro's" in this case would have been the top guys in the 25km race catching the people on the 50km ride. They should have started MORE than 15min after the 50km.....might have helped a bit. Always a problem when the different distances are just more laps....

You know, it cuts both ways. Do you have any idea how frustrating it is being in a RACE an then having slower folk in front of you on a singletrack?

It does not help to fight each other. The sollution lies with the organisers.

Two races I will never do again:

1. The Lionman

2. The lost city

Why?

A partial sollution is to have a seeding system like in the Nissan series. It keeps the racers and the riders apart to a good extent. Neither one of the above races have that and there were 500 cyclists in the 50km race of the lost city!

Guest eyecandy

Where was this single track part ? I must have missed it.

I also missed the singletrack :unsure:

Getting back to the pro's...........if the road is wide enough all they need to do is say "coming to your left/right" so u r aware. If its too narrow to pass and i cant stop or pull over without falling, well then tough s*&t! Its their problem how they get around me :P But agreed, its a real frustration if u r the one who needs to pass.

Clearly there were a limited number of people listening to the announcer... he said that the faster 50Km riders would be passing the slower riders.

He said there was no single track, owing to the numbers and the route.

He asked that everyone keep left, to allow the faster riders to pass.

He also mentioned that this was a "fun ride" and the faster riders should be courteous when passing slower riders, even though the so-called "elites" were racing for prize-money.

Thanks for the Responses.. Makes for interesting reads.. :D

When I stated the Single Track.. It was coming as you turned left once you got to the gate of the Sun City before you went under the Road going out.. That’s where the first bunch caught us.. Second was once you were heading out away from Sun City itself.. The so called track on the Left had deep gashes in it as well as huge rocks.. Now as an amateur.. I found it very difficult to ride..

You must remember, it is the pro riders bread and butter. If the don't perform they loose the sponsor.

If you are only riding for fun then you surely won't mind getting off your bike to move out of the way of someone busy working(riding) for a living.

I am also a fun rider. Just putting it out there.

You must remember, it is the pro riders bread and butter. If the don't perform they loose the sponsor.

If you are only riding for fun then you surely won't mind getting off your bike to move out of the way of someone busy working(riding) for a living.

Ironically, the two races listed above are my favourites for the year (Lion and Lost City) and I did everything, including Sabie, Barberton, Legend etc. What I will admit to is that I felt like I was putting the safety of youngsters doing the 25km at risk while I flew past them, wanting to finish the 50 in a record personal time. We cant have that - we really do need to separate the racers and the fun riders for safety's sake.

Good point.. However, by the time I have gotten off my bike.. They are already at the Finish Line :lol:

After getting off to a reasonable start my friend broke a chain after about 3km in the sandy section needless to say after repair we were very close I think to being last spent entire 1st lap passing getting held up passing etc had about 10km or so of nicer open riding on the 2nd lap untill hit all the 25km riders so from that point cant say it was one of my most enjoyable races.

BUT I booked in on Friday and came home on Monday so got a nice holiday with the wife and kids relaxed ate out to much drank a bit to much beer and had a 2 hour ride on Sunday morning PLUS this was in support on cansa so looking at the big picture was a great weekend.

Would I drive that distance to do that race normally .. NO never

But as above would I drive there in support on cansa and to have a quick holiday ..YES

Bottom line is over 1000 riders sharing a loop of less that 25 km is going to be congested so I sort of expected it to be how it was

After getting off to a reasonable start my friend broke a chain after about 3km in the sandy section needless to say after repair we were very close I think to being last spent entire 1st lap passing getting held up passing etc had about 10km or so of nicer open riding on the 2nd lap untill hit all the 25km riders so from that point cant say it was one of my most enjoyable races.

BUT I booked in on Friday and came home on Monday so got a nice holiday with the wife and kids relaxed ate out to much drank a bit to much beer and had a 2 hour ride on Sunday morning PLUS this was in support on cansa so looking at the big picture was a great weekend.

Would I drive that distance to do that race normally .. NO never

But as above would I drive there in support on cansa and to have a quick holiday ..YES

Bottom line is over 1000 riders sharing a loop of less that 25 km is going to be congested so I sort of expected it to be how it was

Agreed.. Great holiday over the weekend and Yes.. It was for Cansa..

On single track i will pull off to make way when its safe and convenient for me unless they shout, then the louder they shout the slower i go.