Your first love (bike)?

Boesman

Searching for a bike for my gf and seeing the look on her face when she finally got it made me think back to the first bike I got...

I remember scanning the JunkMail for bargains as being a student I had very little to spend. Eventually I bought a second 58cm Columbus SLX Eddie Merckx from a guy somewhere in the east rand for R1500. Complete with old fashioned shifters, wolber rims and Vittorio tyres. What a bike!! I've moved on since then but I can't stop myself from compairing every new bike I buy to that one and keep on thinking by myself, they are just not the same...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Giant OCR3... HA HA. Got two punctures even before I had ridden with it. Picked it up on the way to work, everything fine. Afternoon , bragged at lunch with it... and both wheels flat. Went to LBS, "hey WTF????(NOT REALLY LIKE THAT) Their reply, "you left the bike in the car in the sun??" Me hmm   ... hmmm ya. Oh, that causes punctures. So ya, didn't start the way I wanted, but still, loved that bike.

first real mtb was a baby-**** brown kona cinder cone. rigid project 2 forks. thumbshifters. called it "thumper". travelled a lot with that bike. it went through the odd upgrade (it's old fork is still lying in the lbs from when i put a shock on it - manitou 5 if memory serves) before some baddies relieved me off it.

I bought my first bike a year ago to the day (30 aug 2006). wow, a year later and i still suck at this LOL

It was a raleigh , fixed that mistake very quickly Smile

Worked the WHOLE of December holiday in the fish and ship cafee to buy my first road bike for R300.  Clipless pedals included!

Got it resprayd British racing green - like the Lemans Jaguars.  Was a Hansom.

First race was Magoebaskloof and finished 30th overall......VERY chuffed!  http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/nod.gif

In 1992 I got R1000 from my dad as gift and the next day I went to Westdene cycles and bought a silver Sancini with Shimano 300 EX groupset for R999. I thought I have arrived and can now play with the big boys, I was wrong.

Goodness, check all this old bikes coming out, remember Zini, Alpina...

I remember at that stage all the bikes had thin downtubes. Then Giant(I think) started with the thicker downtube design. John O'Connor worked at the gym, told him I didn't like that at all! Now all the bikes are like that.

1986 - Bought a second hand Le Turbo with Ofmega and Suntour components from Willie Engelbreght at AVH Cycles for R650

That excludes the fixed wheel racer 11T that was my best friend from 65 to 69 at school

Bought a 2nd hand Hansom 531 tubing for R1,100.00. Had it resprayed "le france" yellow with royal blue strickers. About a year later while traveling in the cycling lane a combi stopped in front of me while I was doing about 35kph. That was the last of that, had to replace it and got an Eddy Merckx Columbus tubing.

1990 - a pearl white Peugeot Rapport with 105 toe-strap pedals. I still have the original receipt for the bike and the pedals (R699) LOL.

Man, I loved that bike. My first race was the EP Herald and I rode it in 2:58. Been going backwards ever since Shocked.

My first MTB was a racing green Diamond Back Topange - zero shocks want-so-ever. Did a 4 day tour through the Cederberg on it with panniers, no problem, plus a 5 day tour from George to CT.

"what the eyes do not see the heart does not drool over" LOL
Buff2007-08-30 04:23:22

I had a Peugeot Rapport(silver and blue).....way too big 62cm. I am actually a 56cm!LOL

It had toe clips and shifters were on the frame.

Bought it for R1029 in 1992 and thought that it is very expesive for a road bike!!!

Goodness' date=' check all this old bikes coming out, remember Zini, Alpina...

I remember at that stage all the bikes had thin downtubes. Then Giant(I think) started with the thicker downtube design. John O'Connor worked at the gym, told him I didn't like that at all! Now all the bikes are like that.

[/quote']

My first bike I bought for myself was a pink and white Zini. Got a friend, Gerhard Dirks (he's into mountainbiking these days), to check if the bike was O.K. That bike really got me into cycling. Today I won't come close to a road bike!  

First road bike was a blue and white ZINI with reynolds 501 tubing. This was in 1987. My uncle took me to Deale and Huth in Joburg city center and got it for my 14th birthday.

Indy F1 with Sora Groupset and Alex DA22 rims, R499 saddle bought at magic cycles in Pta,rode the Bela Bela Classic with it did a 2:20 on the 60K race, did a 2:43 this year on the 100.    1 year down the line I am now on my 3 bike Monoc with Campy  Alex Practice rims and Rolf Vector for race, still have that R499 saddle though, comfy as hell