selling of sample products

Face Plant

just been to a LBS to buy some chamois cream. i get told that they only have the small tubes of ASSOS selling for R20 each so i bought a couple to see me through for a while, so i just get back to the office and im looking at the little tube and notice "SAMPLE NOT FOR SALE" on the side of the tub! what you guys think? you think its ethical to be selling sample products?

must be honest i think this is #@#!$ nonsense!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just been to a LBS to buy some chamois cream. i get told that they only have the small tubes of ASSOS selling for R20 each so i bought a couple to see me through for a while, so i just get back to the office and im looking at the little tube and notice "SAMPLE NOT FOR SALE" on the side of the tub! what you guys think? you think its ethical to be selling sample products?

This is not the first incident like this. I heard from my LBS that J&J (the Assos

importers) are charging for the samples.

Not cool.

What do J&J have to say about this?

Name and shame. Who was it?

That's like stealling!!Name and shame them and then go and lay a fraud case with the Cops.

LMAO now that is classic - anyways for 60 Bucks you could have got Milking Balm from Dischem which is 3 times the size and 3 times better.

No ways - that's totally offside!!! RED CARD!!!

That LBS wouldn't see me again...

this has really p!@#$ me off! after the amount of money most of us spend at our LBS then we still get ripped off like this for R20

Which Bike Shop ?

And yes it would be good to know if J&J are charging them for the samples, if thats the case there must be a contact email address for Assos - Get your own Back !!!!!

Which Bike Shop ?

And yes it would be good to know if J&J are charging them for the samples, if thats the case there must be a contact email address for Assos - Get your own Back !!!!!

i was actually thinking of contacting Assos but if J&J are selling the samples then the LBS isnt the one at fault! and if J&J are the local agents then the only thing one could do is contact Assos overseas

i was actually thinking of contacting Assos but if J&J are selling the samples then the LBS isnt the one at fault! and if J&J are the local agents then the only thing one could do is contact Assos overseas

KAAAAK, the bike shop cant defend its actions by blaming J&J, I doubt anybody forced them to resell the samples !!!! Its Greed and a BS attitude of "well if those oke's are going rip me off, them I'll just do the same". Not good for business, not good for us.

I think that is illegal... If Assos /agents get hold of this story... I don't wanna be the bike shop.

Yeah, correct, consumer law prohibits the "sale" of any item labeled "free sample".

Of course its never going to be worth going the legal route for a 20 buck tube of cream, but I would ask the LBS if they paid for the sample, if they said Yes, then the importer is at fault and the matter should be in the publics eye, if they say NO then you need to ask for your money back and you also need to bring the matter into the pubic domain.

Disagree - why is it always left to the consumer to sort the **** out. Surely the Bike shop should tell J&J that it is not ethical when offered with the deal of purchasing samples. No they agreed to the terms therefore they are just as responsible.

I would send Assos Int'l an email. At least you can lubricate where you were shafted...

Name and shame, if the LBS bought the tubs then they should be named and shamed for being dumb enough for falling for it. Sounded like a good deal anyways buy more and repackage it...

I was shocked the other day when I ordered a part for my Thule rack from CWC. When I picked it up, they gave it to me for free. Said Thule didn't charge them for it so they weren't charging me They could have still charged me and I wouldn't have know any different. Its not even my local LBS. I was very impressed and will support them in the future.

Now here you have a shop selling products that are supposed to be free???! Why would a shop buy stuff that legally they are not allowed to sell? Bit stupid if that is the case.