Friggin taxi's

mrbaker

So yesterday I was driving down the road-minding my own business...when some idiot taxi drivers whole wheel comes off the vehicle and hits my car!!!

I was shocked when he told me he had no insurance...Not!!

The taxi was full, no one got hurt. But when I asked the passangers why they weren't beating the crap out of the driver they looked at me like I was mad.

Oh, and I get to pay the excess on my car - R3000. :angry:

The quote from the panel beater came to R52000.

Bet he doesn't have a PDP either and I really am not sure why you are surprised that he didn't have insurance. I think it is an industry standard!

Saw the same thing this morning on my way in to Cape Town CBD, taxi wheel came off and he basically backed up traffic all the way up hospital bend, but again full taxi.

Cops should confiscate and scrap these taxi, so that strong message gets sent to the taxi owners..

:angry:

It amazes me how these taxi drivers do not hear the bearings going! Luckily you are insured, even if you have to pay an excess. What happened to the talk about making insurance compulsary on vehicles?

It is only compulsory when you buy the vehicle but you can literally drive the vehicle off the floor and cancel the insurance - exactly what these guys do.

As for looking after the thing - well that's a whole different discussion

It amazes me how these taxi drivers do not hear the bearings going! Luckily you are insured, even if you have to pay an excess. What happened to the talk about making insurance compulsary on vehicles?

Can't hear the bearings if your music is too loud!

MuXmAn - Note the sarcastic 'Not' after the insurance comment...

Why would they worry when they know that nothing will be done in any way to reprimand/punish them for their negligence

they're all deaf!! playing music at +110 decibels whole day does that! ..and when you hear them booming pass..thats over 120db !!! ..and the cause of serious hearing impairment!

What about the 9 school kids who died when a train hit their taxi?

The driver didn't feel like waiting, so drove past all the cars and zig zagged through the booms that were down and got T-Boned by the train.

When he is out of hospital, I assure you he will be back behind the wheel again while the culpable homicide case gets lost in court.

I would love to know how much tax is paid by taxi operators?

They behave like criminals and the whole industry stinks of organised crime.

They have the government by the balls when they strike and scream victimisation when the Police clamp down on them.

They get their way by intimidating everyone. Including their paying customers!

It has got so out of control, its gonna be difficult impossible to regulate this industry ever!

Vehicle licences and insurance and operation licences are a joke, so there is no hold on them what so ever.

So yesterday I was driving down the road-minding my own business...when some idiot taxi drivers whole wheel comes off the vehicle and hits my car!!!

The taxi was full, no one got hurt. But when I asked the passangers why they weren't beating the crap out of the driver they looked at me like I was mad.

Exactly the same thing happened to me ~2months ago...in Stelenbosch.

perfectly minding my own bussiness when I SAW this wheel comming from opposite lane and wham into my rear door post (still had piece of axle attached).

Lucky for me, it was the work's car and not mine...

Dumbass was flabbergasted and did not say too much...but you should have heard the capie passengers in the taxi...they gave him a colourful mouthfull...but it is like water of a duck's back...driver doesn't care much!!

We had a close call last year.

Morning ride on Diep River Main Road @ around 6:30 - a taxi comes past us and about 10m in front of us, the left wheel and axle comes off and careens off into the open ground to our left.

If that had happened directly behind us, it would have ploughed through us 10 pin bowling style.

We all laughed and thought it was funny, but it dawned on my quite soon afterwards how dangerous it was.

What happened to that whole taxi recapitalisation scheme?

The old ones were supposed to be traded in for new ones with subsidisation and all that?

R52 000!? You must drive a really expensive car, or that wheel must have been going reaaaaly fast...

Sorry to hear that, mrbaker.

Uncool! :unsure:

The taxi industry provides a really important service to those that do not have cars.

And there is not a lot of regulation. Not so safe for the taxi commuter. :huh:

Can't hear the bearings if your music is too loud!

Can't hear the bearings when 24 passengers talk in a 14 seater. :P

the fault is yours because as you were saying you were minding your own business... are you following

driving is a exercise in social contracts requiring participants to be invoved in all aspects of the process

b4 you argue it was this expectation in the contract that led to you 1st expecting insurance in a3rd world country and 2nd that byou didn't understand why the passengers weren't bollocking the driver

in a country where 1/2 the pallookas driving are illegal and 1/2 the cars unrroad worthy we ahve to be more defensive in our driving

glad you weren't pedalling when you got bliksemmed

sorry bru