Best Price vs Best Service

Christopher Brunsdon

Even though my experience is NCR, it still is relevant to our LBSs.

On Sunday I went to go shop for a Video Camera, gift from my Dad and no budget limit :) I only had 3 hours to get quotes due to time constraints. After visiting various stores at my local mall, I had the following options (all the stores stocked the camera I liked, Sony SX44S):

* Buy from Deon Wired where the sales lady was very friendly and still helped me even though she was busy with another sale. Price R2800 with no goodies. Our company prefers to buy laptops from them due to their excellent after sales no-questions asked service.

* Buy from Game where the sales guys greeted me with "Talk To Me!" and other salesman lies. Special price, R2500 including a Bag. Also I hate taking things back to them as their after sales service is awful (talking from experience).

* Or store X that would beat any price but seemed irritated that I only wanted the entry level camera and display units where not functional. (Also they only had a floor model for sale). The after sales service is non-existent and everything breaks that we purchase from them.

Easy choice here when I bought it the Monday:

Bought for the highest prices (R500 more than the cheapest offer as I still needed a bag) and I gladly paid the cash (ignore the fact that it was not really my money).

So the question is, do you also support better service over better prices or do you save the Randts upfront and cough up the difference over time?

Well, "Dion Wired" and "Game" are both part of the same company "Masstores" so you were actually still buying from the same supplier as it were.

I dont so much as buy a lollipop from Game or any Masstores outlet including Builders warehouse or Makro,in my opinion they are low on customer service, lower on product knowledge, and in my opinion not that much cheaper, however they are big on only having two tills open on a busy day delaying everyone in the que, bigger on holding you up at the door to check your invoice and count your product, and biggest on slow, unpleasant and uninterested cashiers.

I would have bought from the small independant store where the owner knows what he sells, can generally answer all your questions truthfully and paying is a quick queless, painless procedure.

....but I am grumpy and thats just me.!

Grumpy, I use to be in retail and very aware of this.

I also support the independents but only where customer service exceeds chain stores. Here in the Cape that is very hard to find.

Here in GP we have great stores like Stax and Hirche's. You can even get discount on the ticket price. Sometimes you get good service and good price and that just makes you feel like a king.

Grumpy, I use to be in retail and very aware of this.

I also support the independents but only where customer service exceeds chain stores. Here in the Cape that is very hard to find.

Hah, too true, I have a holiday home in Durbanville, a few months ago I was down for a few weeks vacation and decided to re-tile the kitchen and passage. Phoned 5 Companies to come quote, eventually I gave the job to the only one who showed up.!

They said it would take 5 days, after 8 days I had to come home and its still not finished, so yeah, I know what you mean.

So the question is, do you also support better service over better prices or do you save the Randts upfront and cough up the difference over time?

This to me is such a sterio typical SA story, why should price influence service. We should expect brilliant service regardless the pricerange of the transaction.

Better service for me, it pays back over time.

Amen and +1

This to me is such a sterio typical SA story, why should price influence service. We should expect brilliant service regardless the pricerange of the transaction.

I fully agree with this statement. The customer is king. He may not always be right, but he is none-the-less king.

True but sometimes it costs money to give better service. If a store gives you good service they do not have to apologise for their prices as long as its reasonable.

Went to Sounds Great in Clearwater mall to check out home theatre systems. Compared 2 systems, told the salesman I'm not in a hurry and to write the model details etc so I can find out what /who these brands are... That irriated him. Ah well... there are many other shops that can have my money. :angry:

Sunday morning, I took the day off after Saturday's 125km, I took back a SD card I bought at the Fuji store in Clearwater. It was coming apart. I showed the salesman, he went to the rack, got a new one and handed it to me. No questions or even asked for my slip. Just apologised and said he hoped did not interrupted my photography too much.

Went to Sounds Great in Clearwater mall to check out home theatre systems. Compared 2 systems, told the salesman I'm not in a hurry and to write the model details etc so I can find out what /who these brands are... That irriated him. Ah well... there are many other shops that can have my money. :angry:

This is a guy who understands nothing about sales or he is under pressure to meet target.

I also take my time and enquire, ask questions (even Google at times) before making a purchase. Those that are impatient before the sale tend to be so much worse after the sale. I would rather deal with someone who is there to assist me instead of someone who just wants my money.

Depending on what you want to spend Yamaha with B&W as well as Marantz with B&W are safe bets.

Onkyo with Polk also good.

i try not to depend too much on sales people giving me info on any product. I do my research first and look for the best price.

Nothing can beat incredible connections sales reps for biggest BS's, can be very entertaining if you know your pc hardware.

Depending on what you want to spend Yamaha with B&W as well as Marantz with B&W are safe bets.

Onkyo with Polk also good.

Thanks, was looking at the Yamaha rather , with Jamo(?) speakers. Sounded awesome. B&W? Haven't heard that name yet.

i try not to depend too much on sales people giving me info on any product. I do my research first and look for the best price.

Nothing can beat incredible connections sales reps for biggest BS's, can be very entertaining if you know your pc hardware.

Ja, this is one store where I walk in, raise my hand to the guys congregating at the doorway and say 'No thanks, I know what I want!'