Just Cyclelab...or do they all overcharge like this ?

Lounge Lizard

Serviced my wheels today and decided new bearings required. Tried all the local shops but nobody had the bearings (For Mavic Crossmax mtb wheels)

Cyclelab had excellent service in that a pretty girl (that's always a good start!) met me at the door - asked what she can help with and then proceeded to see if they had the bearing. (other shops just said they don't have it - so 1 up for cyclelab)

They did not have but she said she will phone around and see how soon she can get one. (2nd good point for CLab.)

Finally she said she can get them for me - at R 220 each.

After I picked myself up off the floor - I said cool bananas but I will go to the bearing shop myself thanks.

Went to BMG - asked for the best bearing in that size - and paid R 70 per bearing.

R 220 each VS. R 70 each ?

So saving R660-R210 = R 450 ! by 20 minute drive.

mmmmm..... service was (and also on previous occasions) very good, BUT the girl was not so pretty that I will pay that price .....or go back soon.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone read this cr@p!

Get over it.

You went in and transacted.

Had you researched before transacting you wouldn't be whinging.

You paid for the bearings, the outsourcing procurement, courier function and administration.

If you do your own work (cut out the middle man) it'll always be cheaper.

If its so important to you, then return the bearings.

Even with 10% handling charge you should save.

<Skip the next twenty packets and your pocket should be even.>

Its not the shop thats expensive its the supplier, one example for you Scott Spark bearing kit for pivots from Probike to retail at the shop for R1500, my bicycle shop at the time said now ways they are getting those for me and got bearings at bearing man for R150, they worked exactly the same

Did anyone read this cr@p!

Get over it.

You went in and transacted.

Had you researched before transacting you wouldn't be whinging.

You paid for the bearings, the outsourcing procurement, courier function and administration.

If you do your own work (cut out the middle man) it'll always be cheaper.

If its so important to you, then return the bearings.

Even with 10% handling charge you should save.

<Skip the next twenty packets and your pocket should be even.>

You @#$%^....

Read the mail, I did go buy/source my own - BUT its a bicycle part...so I did go to the bicycle shops first - They sell the bikes - they should be the best source for the spares ? ! for the brands they sell !

now do you get it !

Ek hoop jy het ook iets van menslike verhoudings geleer jou akkedis!!!!!!!!

Sorry Big H but I don't get your point ? but it sounds as if you are suggesting I treated CL badly ?

I made a simple statement saying I think CL had excellent Service, but overcharge on their spares.

Now I get the impression its 'bash the Lizard' time in the follow-up posts ?

Why the attack on poor me ?

Larry Larry I know you only have 76 Posts but you may never never ever come here and say anything bad about CL...it's kinda like suggesting that Lance took PED's

You are heading to be drawn and quartered for speaking the truth - mmmm I vaguely remember that happening somewhere else in the past :blink:

Larry Larry I know you only have 76 Posts but you may never never ever come here and say anything bad about CL...it's kinda like suggesting that Lance took PED's

You are heading to be drawn and quartered for speaking the truth - mmmm I vaguely remember that happening somewhere else in the past :blink:

Yup MuXmAn ... I get your point thanks. However, its not as if I sneaked over here to bad mouth them. When told the price, as mentioned, I said to the sales person that it was an excessive price and therefore I prefer to do my shopping for these parts at a generic part supplier.

It is not a sin to make a profit...but when anyone does feel happy with a price they look somewhere else.

My post gives a look at my experience ... (of which CL was informed)

A suitable CL response could have been something like....'sorry but we cater for someone in a higher income bracket'.....or, 'yes that does sound excessive, lets have a look and make a deal'....or...'sorry, that is the price because we only use the original imported parts, but you can get a generic part at....'....or 'yes, its expensive but the guarantee depends on the original parts from Scott'......or 'no we don't stock spares for that bicycle but we can get them and it will be expensive, better you go to....'.....or

So, my post is not a ps on the CL battery....it was a question....are all LBS charging these mark-ups on spares ?

Anyway..(yawn)....this is all getting too carried away.

((And yes I also get grumpy and sometimes reply with sh!ty comments on other hubbers posts :-)

I somehow doubt you run your own business.

Cyclelab proposition is a premium service for a premium clientele in a premium location. Sound like that they met that proposition in your case. They probably do fall short on occasion too. Its difficult when you aim at a high standard. Many people are prepared to pay for that, and probaly pay significantly more than they would elsewhere. They factor in the friendliness, knowledge, service and backup.

While BMG probably works out of an industrial area from a warehouse environment and for those that don't mind grease under their nails, its probably great. I doubt the person behind the counter is particularly skilled in client relations like the premium store employee. He probably knows way more about bearings but bugger all about bicylces.

There is a massive difference in cost structure.

I would bet that CL buys its bearing from the wheel distributor rather than the bearing manufacturer. They probably know that can get the bearing cheaper from BMG. The reason for this is that by reselling the official (and expensive) part, they won't have come backs that it damaged your wheel. It will work, and it is supported by the distributor. Again there is a cost to that, call it an insurance against failure and come back.

So at the end of the day, you milked the knowledge of the one and purchased from the other. That's probably why the other stores don't bother with trying to help source the part for you.

At the end of the day, CL is the winner for showing they are prepared to go that extra mile for the customer.

Why the attack on poor me ?

Because of your attack on poor Coppi, you tjoppie, quite simple I would guess.

Although I was way out on the OP.

LL please be sure that you express yourself better next time. :rolleyes:

davem has explained it perfectly I think, perfectly

I understand your point Larry, but as you say, don't bother supporting them. Vote with your wallet! If people are happy to pay R220 for a bearing and you can get it for R70, good on you! I don't know cycle lab but I do have a friend with a motorbike shop, he charges one price, go down the road to another, fancier bike shop (looks nice, but they have almost zero stock)) and you will find that same item at a much higher price. I am like you, I shop around and don't support excessive greed. While people may think ag, its only a bearing, you know what, chances are next time you won't be heading there with that R10,000 that is be burning a hole in your pocket!

Back to the Q. the reason why you pay R220 a bearing is because MAVIC uses qrm bearings, they are defferent from the ones at brm... but the ones at bearing man should work fine... QRM bearings are just made specifically for Mavic wheels. but jip.. did my own ones the chaep way... i cant afford QRM