Seat Post Bottelcage Clamp

scuzzy

I've been looking at getting the seatpost clamp for an extra bottlecage on the dual sus MTB

My question: do you loose a lot of bottles? I saw some people at the Trans Baviaans using this, but also noticed that they continuously feel if it is still there. If you use it, do you find it irritating wondering if your bottle is still there after doing a single track section or some "downhill"? Would you recommend it for MTB'ing?

Thanks

I am a Camelbak rider - alternating between my M.U.L.E. and Rogue as the lenght of ride and temperature dictates.Main reason for this being the ability to carry a phone, tools, pump, tube and some basic first aid stuff for the unlucky fellow rider - or even yours truly.

I did the Cullinan Marathon yesterday morning, and whilst all was still ok on the golf course track and singletrack at the foot of the mountain, the terrain progressively became littered with half-full bottles as we hit the rocky sections.

I recall seeing a tip in one of the cycling magazines concerning the retention of your bottle in its cage with pieces of tube, but I can only think that it must then become a mission to then get it out of there whilst on the move.

A riding buddy of mine swears by just slipping a bottle into the back of his cycling jersey - replacing the bottle from the cage on the frame as soon as it's empty.

I use a specialized bottle cage on my seatpost with a Zefal Gizmo clamp. Never ever lost a bottle.

They are great! I personally dont like a backpack on my back.

Yeah Koukie, I was also thinking along those lines, cause everybody raves about the specialized bottle cage, I guess it comes down to the angle of the bottle? Are yours quite upright, in line with the seatpost?

Stumpyrider, I also agree with you, thing is, when you do long rides where it is a lot of flat tar roads and gravel roads, but it does come down to personal preference, I have been riding with a Camelback for years now, and want to give the alternative a try.

Thanks for the input

I have a spesialized bottle cage on the seatpost of my GT. Did the Joberg2C like that. Lost my bottle once and the reason was the fitting on the seatpost came loose. I can recommend it.

I am using the Specialized cage and seat post clamps for my seatpost. The only drawback is that if I want to use a saddle bag and a big bottle, I have to stop and change bottles. I can comfortably fit a small bottle and find that the Fizik small bag (that clips into the slot at the back of my saddle) works well. Bottles are ok to take out and put in, and cage is robust enough to withstand punishment and secure your bottles.

post-5386-046079200 1283153639.jpg

post-5386-098185800 1283153657.jpg

Scuzzy, the seatpost mount bottle cage works well, provided that you use a tight fitting cage to hold your bottle. Topeak makes a clamp and you should get one for around R75. However be careful of your rear wheel travel, as a lady I raced with in Die Burger snapped her mount on her Giant Trance when her rear wheel caught the bottle cage.

Agree with the Spez bottle cage-called Rib Cage I think, another key is that he clamp should make the cage sit at 90 degrees and smaller angle will make the chances of the bottle fsalling out much bigger.