Massive group ride - Cpt to Namibia

Shebeen

looks like she is still giving this a go...just not in feb.

http://jolandie-rust.blogspot.com/2011/01/launch-date-postponed.html

i hope she has learnt more about bikes by now

Yep, SHE is still giving it a go. I am leaving on 27 April.

On knowing more about bikes...I've had my bike for 4 years now, have gone through South Africa and around South Africa together. (Well around South Africa I was on Luna, my bike from Cpt back home to Jhb).

So we know each other pretty well. :)

Yep, SHE is still giving it a go. I am leaving on 27 April.

On knowing more about bikes...I've had my bike for 4 years now, have gone through South Africa and around South Africa together. (Well around South Africa I was on Luna, my bike from Cpt back home to Jhb).

So we know each other pretty well. :)

wow that was quick.

care to tell us more about your bike? we love talking about bikes here...how is the rohloff hub going?

a photo would be nice (preferably on a couch). you might even get spares donated from here if you ask nicely and put a wishlist up.

wow that was quick.

care to tell us more about your bike? we love talking about bikes here...how is the rohloff hub going?

a photo would be nice (preferably on a couch). you might even get spares donated from here if you ask nicely and put a wishlist up.

Thanks. :)

My bike is a Corratec, Superbow Race with front suspension. Though I am considering rather going with a rigid fork.

I'm not going with a rohloff hub. 9 Speed Shimano cassette. Schwalbe marathon plus tyres, 26x2.25 - currently have Schwalbe Smart Sam tyres on. Shrader valve tubes.

I will be taking Old Man Mountain front and rear racks. Ortlieb front roller plus and back roller plus panniers. Handlebar bag and trunk bag.

I'll put a pick when I've got Luna kitted out. But here's a pic of what my bike looks like. Mine is just plain black. :)

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz291/jolandierust/corratec_superbow_race.jpg

I think it's fantastic what you're doing, would have given anything to join your ride! Are you going to be updating via mobile as you going along (if I remember Nokia donated a C8?) and how will you charge electronic devices? Any chance of live tracking?

What about going tubeless for touring? I am planning a tour in the far east so getting my hardtail mtb pavement warrior bike ready for that, thinking of ditching tubes based on my very positive mtb experience with tubeless.

Also front suspension that can lockout is essential.

I think it's fantastic what you're doing, would have given anything to join your ride! Are you going to be updating via mobile as you going along (if I remember Nokia donated a C8?) and how will you charge electronic devices? Any chance of live tracking?

Thank you! :)

Yes, I'll be giving updates regularly...or as regularly as I can manage when in the bundus. ;)

Yes, Nokia has sponsored me with an N8. I will be using a powermonkey solar charger to charge all my devices. Though most of my updates will be to my blog: http://jolandie-rust.blogspot.com and to social networking sites: Facebook, Twitter etc. Video, posts, pics etc.

I will stream video live when able to do so, but will give notice of this in advance on Facebook and on my blog. Live tracking - I am still considering.

What about going tubeless for touring? I am planning a tour in the far east so getting my hardtail mtb pavement warrior bike ready for that, thinking of ditching tubes based on my very positive mtb experience with tubeless.

Also front suspension that can lockout is essential.

Yes, I'll most likely go with lockout front suspension. Tubeless - I think it's all a matter of preference. I've gone tubeless before on one of my previous trips and just prefer to rather go with Schwalbe tyres, triple thick tubes and inner liner. It's what works best for me. :)

Thank you! :)

Yes, I'll be giving updates regularly...or as regularly as I can manage when in the bundus. ;)

Yes, Nokia has sponsored me with an N8. I will be using a powermonkey solar charger to charge all my devices. Though most of my updates will be to my blog: http://jolandie-rust.blogspot.com and to social networking sites: Facebook, Twitter etc. Video, posts, pics etc.

I will stream video live when able to do so, but will give notice of this in advance on Facebook and on my blog. Live tracking - I am still considering.

Just my opinion but if you could, live tracking would be a really good idea, I think it really helps to keep people interested and more invested, and of course there's the safety issue as well. Not only that, but it could result in a bit of company here and there when people can track you riding through their neighborhood!

Just my opinion but if you could, live tracking would be a really good idea, I think it really helps to keep people interested and more invested, and of course there's the safety issue as well. Not only that, but it could result in a bit of company here and there when people can track you riding through their neighborhood!

To be honest, I'm in two minds about the live tracking. It can work for me or against me.

I don't know if I want everybody to know exactly where I am at all times. For safety reasons.

My friends and family back home will know where I am at all times, and with regular updates people will have a good idea of which area I am in. Those wanting to join me can then rather contact me directly.

• 2 months later...

kicks off today..check out the bike + kitchen sink.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-H1bTa13Xak0/TbF3il_KhmI/AAAAAAAAAXw/JA45Pwhc4bw/s1600/20042011164.jpg

would it be rude to open betting on how far this gets?

It would be pretty rude as this is what most of us would love to do and someone is actually getting of their well padded ass and doing it. It doesn't really matter anyways, its all about the journey.

What would be worth a bet is how much the fully kitted bike weighs. You could make it a competion the closest guess gets to carry some of your stuff!

What would be worth a bet is how much the fully kitted bike weighs. You could make it a competion the closest guess gets to carry some of your stuff!

according to the blog, 27kgs.

but ja, some will get turfed along the way. see the medical kit?!