Newbie assistance required!

Epic Rookie

Hi,

I'm new to MTBing and i've got a few questions.

When I shift gears, I have to "double tap" to get it from the small chain-ring to the medium one, is there anything i'm doing wrong, do I need to tighten or loosen something?

Secondly, i've got a Uvex Xenova helmet, I put it on nice and firm but after bouncing down a few hills I inevitably have to tighten it again, is that a normal occurence or should I take it back?

Thanks for the help

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure about the gears thing being a roadie. But your helmet should not be super tight on your head. Loose is always beter thantight.

Must disagree with you here. Loose helmet can slip off your noggin if you take a tumble and knock your head. Must be tight, but not overly so that hurts you. Make sure all the straps are adjusted/routed properly and fastened.

I ride with a bell solar helmet and i wont even need to strap it on it fits perfectly, get a helmet that is comfy and fits your head. need not be super expensive. (i.e. if is unclip my straps storm down a mountain, my helmet would still be in the position where it should be)

The doubleshift normally happens if:

Most commonly your cables have streched you could try and retention on the derailurs, but best is to go out and buy a quality set of cables. (not that expensive) and then lastly might be your derailures not being aligned properly.

Youtube has many video's on how to setup your derailure depending on the brand there will either be a little knob that you can turn where the cable runs into your derailure you can turn these a quater turn shift through your gears, quauter turn shift quater turn shift, till you get it to shift seemlesly.

Hi,

When I shift gears, I have to "double tap" to get it from the small chain-ring to the medium one, is there anything i'm doing wrong, do I need to tighten or loosen something?

Secondly, i've got a Uvex Xenova helmet, I put it on nice and firm but after bouncing down a few hills I inevitably have to tighten it again, is that a normal occurence or should I take it back?

Thanks for the help

Your shifting should require one click - your cables need to be looked at. Your helmet strap shouldn't work it's way loose - the tighter the better :D

wow reading that post i do beleive the meds i have taken messed up my grammar and sentence construction totally, and too lazy to redo it, but you get the idea .... I hope

Must disagree with you here. Loose helmet can slip off your noggin if you take a tumble and knock your head. Must be tight, but not overly so that hurts you. Make sure all the straps are adjusted/routed properly and fastened.

Maybe I didn't write what I meant. Not loose as in it can fall off no prob, but properly adjusted etc and fastned. It's these stupid painkillers I'm on.

Excellent!

I'm getting a mental picture Steven69 and covie dishing out advice from the depths of their own private pharmaceutical hazes by randomly rolling their foreheads around on the keyboard.

Excellent!

I'm getting a mental picture Steven69 and covie dishing out advice from the depths of their own private pharmaceutical hazes by randomly rolling their foreheads around on the keyboard.

LOL! Indeed I am as bemused by the answers as I am by their astonishing grasp of the question. It all seems slightly offbeat and I'm sure David Lynch would approve.

LOL! Indeed I am as bemused by the answers as I am by their astonishing grasp of the question. It all seems slightly offbeat and I'm sure David Lynch would approve.

...and then the dwarf arrived, leading the giraffe on a chain.

It all made perfect sense until the disco-dancing lesbians beat him to death with a Camelbak that the undertaker had filled with heavy water.

(Hello mate!)

Excellent!

Wonders if sniffing this tab will have more of an effect than swallowing it, smoking the things did'nt help either. And now that my secret is out. I have to inform you I found a solution in my dazy haze where all roadies and MTB'ers get along, but then I drank some red wine and forgot what the answer was.

Wonders if sniffing this tab will have more of an effect than swallowing it, smoking the things did'nt help either. And now that my secret is out. I have to inform you I found a solution in my dazy haze where all roadies and MTB'ers get along, but then I drank some red wine and forgot what the answer was.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Alcohol and drugs don't help much do they...... :lol:

Hi,

Thanks for the help

Hi there, in MHO, I am not sure the other replies have realised (some of them heavy on drugs as you noticed) you are talking about the front chainrings - and of moving up to the larger ring.

On the back cluster - it must alvaize be only one klick - going up and down, but on the front chainrings, one click should get you to a smaller chainring, but it is common for the shift up, to be a longer push movement - perhaps you are just not giving it the full push all the way.

(by the way you did not mention what groupset you have - which could have an impact on shifting quality)

Re the helmut (note; spelling on forum - never say helmet)

The strap may slacken if it is not threaded correctly - further, the end of the strap must be tied down (another small buckle, rubber band etc higher up)should be present to tuck the end in. Easy to make something yourself with a rubber band if desperate - and yes, like the guys say - keep it firmly on, but not so that your eyes pop out or you can't open your trap to gasp for air)

Hi there, in MHO, I am not sure the other replies have realised (some of them heavy on drugs as you noticed) you are talking about the front chainrings - and of moving up to the larger ring.

Ishhhh tak offenchhe to yar shtatement .......

Excellent!

lol :lol: