bike lanes milnerton

firewolf

hi all. I am sure this is not new, in fact I know its been on before. But... I rode the bike lanes in Milnerton today for the first time. Very nice. But this is on a Monday morning. They must be pretty crazy on a weekend. What thread did this topic appear on?

The lanes look fantastic. I'd rather be dealing with bicycle traffic than car traffic any day! Wonder if they're going to maintain (i.e. sweep) them - otherwise punctures will become the biggest challenge, especially for the roadies.

PS : Already I've heard motorists complain that going home to Table View is now more congested as the slip off (note : emergency lane) to Blouberg at Dolphin Beach traffic lights no longer exists due to the bike lane. Wonder how many motorists will take up cycling or use the RBTS instead of complaining??

I used the bike lane for the first time yesterday. The lanes are designed for commuting in groups of 2 to 6 riders and not for group rides. I can't imagine 30 plus riders on road bikes speeding along at 35km/h on the bike lane. The bigger group rides will continue to use the road, regardless of safety.

big group rides will for sure be more at home on the road, unless they get strung out in a long single file. I remember someone posting something about VeloAtlantico going one way and, (I think City Cycles?) guys going the other way, and all the comments that might get flung between them.

I did feel very safe on the road; a big change from that normal skrik reflex everytime a car/truck gets too close. The lanes allow a smooth transition through what can be a pretty heavy section of road traffic.

As for the motorists complaining about a back log of traffic - ag shame..

• 2 months later...