Tubular questions

stewie911

Getting my first set of tubbies and got some questions.

This may be a shimano-sram-campag(which is best) type of question, but which do you guys prefer: The tape or glue.

It seems like the tape is much easier to install, but what if you get a flat during a race/ride?

What type of tubular tyre is best for use as a spare, ie which would install the easiest and quickest during a race?

What type of tubular tyre is best for use as a spare, ie which would install the easiest and quickest during a race?

I don't think you should use tubbies if you do not have a back-up vehicle following you.

Yep, only use for racing and if you puncture, you phone a friend, hitch a hike, or wait for the sweep vehicle. You can of cource carry a spare with you. I did this many years ago but found it cumbersome.

my 2008 argus tour ended on the blue route, so be careful. They give the best ride but there are drawbacks.

There's a tubular thread on the Weight Weenies forum and they really have a low opinion of tape - you'd have to read up for the reasons, though.

I use an old Continental Competition tubular as my spare (but only in long or multi-stage races). The tread's become a bit too worn for regular use but there's still enough for it to last as a spare. I store it inflated on an old tubby wheel so it stays stretched. When I need it I take it off and fold it up.

Ideally, a spare tyre would need to be flexible (making it easy to mount), able to be folded compactly and cheap if you're buying a new one. I'm not sure if you can get something like this: flexible and compact tyres tend to be the expensive ones.

prefer glue.

ride with a little sealant in,

plus a can of Vittoria Pitstop , should get you to finish..

@94.7 i punctured in town, the Pitstop did the trick and i finished the race.. (but forget about high inflation pressure afterwards , only 100psi)

This may be a shimano-sram-campag(which is best) type of question, but which do you guys prefer: The tape or glue.

It seems like the tape is much easier to install, but what if you get a flat during a race/ride?

Hi Stewie

Why not consider tubeless clinchers?

I recently fitted Hutchinson Atom tubeless tyres to my Ksyrium's and they work really well, the ride is similar to tubbies, they roll fast and will not easily puncture, obviously a large cut will stop your ride but that is true for normal clinchers also.

Visit www.NoTubes.com there is a video clip showing how to convert normal rims to tubeless, no tape needed for sealed rims like Ksyrium or DuraAce.

At the end of the clip the tyres are penetrated with a large needle and it seals every single time.

Hi StewieWhy not consider tubeless clinchers?I recently fitted Hutchinson Atom tubeless tyres to my Ksyrium's and they work really well, the ride is similar to tubbies, they roll fast and will not easily puncture, obviously a large cut will stop your ride but that is true for normal clinchers also.Visit www.NoTubes.com there is a video clip showing how to convert normal rims to tubeless, no tape needed for sealed rims like Ksyrium or DuraAce.At the end of the clip the tyres are penetrated with a large needle and it seals every single time.

Was thinking of going tubeless, but I just bought a set of tubbies from desmondalie for a good price. Thought I should at least try them out to see what the fuss is about.

I know guys always say it's a big issue if you get a flat, but I've only has 1 flat in the last year and during a race if you get a flat it's over anyways.

I know guys always say it's a big issue if you get a flat, but I've only has 1 flat in the last year and during a race if you get a flat it's over anyways.

your race might be over, but your ride is not.

@Shade, looks like the Vittoria Pitstop could be the answer to a flat. Have you tried inflating with the pitstop and then a bomb after it sealed?

100PSI is kinda low, but luckily I'm in the region of 65kg

I prefer glue.

I also carry a little Vittoria inflator with sealant. It fixes most small punctures, but not glass cuts...

Even with their drawbacks, tubulars are awesome to ride.

Is it the vittoria pit stop sealant? I see wiggle has them, where did you buy yours?

If I currently ride 700x23c, should I get 23c again or do i go for a narrower width

Will give it a read thanks edman.

Maybe I should have stated that they will be used on low profile Ambrosio Crono F20 32 Hole rims.

Will probably use them in hilly or windy races.