R895 for the Maillot Jaune: Priceless!!

BrokeSpoke

This July , to celebrate an incredible TDF, and with my winnings on Robbie's spectacular sprint, I decided to treat myself. 

Winnings = R198.00 , ladbrokes where offering 14/1 on Robbie,  I should have put the kids education fund on that, instead of a miserable R20 each way . . . aah well. But at least after one months betting I came out only a few hundred down ( Damm the Astana lot )

So with my percieved winnings I logged onto the TDF site and purchased a shinny yellow " Maillot Jaune" to hang above my bar counter and to proudly tell any non Hubber friends , that it was given to me by my good "pal " Robbie Hunter who won the tour de france. (Don't worry, they would never work it out)

I paid my money by credit card, hit the enter key , and sat back waiting for my package to arrive ( oh . . yes . . free water bottle included).

The days rolled into weeks, and a week became a month. But still no brown clad Fedex man standing at my door??

Concerned, I had been scammed, I checked my credit card statment, yep ... I had paid for it. So I dropped Paris an email.

Twelve hours later, I had a phone call from the Brown clad Fedex man, saying that they had the incorrect cell phone number for my delivery, so where unable to deliver my package??. And by the way how was I going to pay the additional VAT of R600.00 ???

So you see my dear hubbers this is the delamer. One piece of yellow fabric has cost me

R200.ish in lossed bets + R 895 for product and postage + R 600 VAT to the good people at SARS = Is it worth it??

Is it worth it????!

Only if you can manage to convince your friends that you, NOT Robbie, actually won that jersey...

"Ja boet. Remember, when I was away for those few weeks a while back. I was in France boet. Seerrriiaaasss.... Been training, secret-like and all that, for months! No seriaasss boet - it's MY jersey... Got it for free and everything...."

Wink

BS.... I learnt the same lesson the hard way... there is a murrava duty on imported clothing....

Difference is.... I will at least get to wear my jacket. Big%20smile

I learned the hard way not to order clothes/helmets on-line. I did not even work out what my pair of Sidi Ergo 1's ended up costing ShockedChristie2007-08-31 06:02:55

As a rule of thumb, consider anything thats made locally to be protected by an Import tariff (duty) - of course there are exceptions, so if you are unsure enquire at any Freight importer (ie) Fedex.

Clothing is a major industry in SA employing thousands of over paid, under productive workers, so to protect their jobs from better manufactured, cheaper Chinese produced clothing lines, there is a significant tariff, AS you no doubt found out.

Shoes, (believe it or not) are also manufactured locally, so have a tariff, although its not so bad today, 8 years ago one needed an import permit (which was very difficult to get) to import shoes into SA. 

Generally tariff protection is applied for by an industry in trouble (probably all SA clothing industries fall into this group) as it was with shoes, people were importing branded shoes and selling them on the street corner via hawkers, this impacted heavily on tradional shoe sales and they applied for permit protection, and got it for a few years (5 if I recall correctly.)  

Something tells me you are in the computer business - or maybe it could be the clothing industry, just having a shot in the dark here

Is it worth it????!

Only if you can manage to convince your friends that you' date=' NOT Robbie, actually won that jersey...

"Ja boet. Remember, when I was away for those few weeks a while back. I was in France boet. Seerrriiaaasss.... Been training, secret-like and all that, for months! No seriaasss boet - it's MY jersey... Got it for free and everything...."

Wink
[/quote']

You cannot do that!! Need to disclose where you were training otherwise you will be fired Wink

As a rule of thumb' date=' consider anything thats made locally to be protected by an Import tariff (duty) - of course there are exceptions, so if you are unsure enquire at any Freight importer (ie) Fedex.

Clothing is a major industry in SA employing thousands of over paid, under productive workers, so to protect their jobs from better manufactured, cheaper Chinese produced clothing lines, there is a significant tariff, AS you no doubt found out.

Shoes, (believe it or not) are also manufactured locally, so have a tariff, although its not so bad today, 8 years ago one needed an import permit (which was very difficult to get) to import shoes into SA. 

Generally tariff protection is applied for by an industry in trouble (probably all SA clothing industries fall into this group) as it was with shoes, people were importing branded shoes and selling them on the street corner via hawkers, this impacted heavily on tradional shoe sales and they applied for permit protection, and got it for a few years (5 if I recall correctly.)  

[/quote']

I suppose we cannot compete against a 15 year old working 12 hours a day earning peanuts in China...

As a rule of thumb' date=' consider anything thats made locally to be protected by an Import tariff (duty) - of course there are exceptions, so if you are unsure enquire at any Freight importer (ie) Fedex.

[/quote']

I suppose we cannot compete against a 15 year old working 12 hours a day earning peanuts in China...

Weeell BBi, thats not entirely true and although it was a fact of life in China some years back, its changed recently, and actually its not an issue anymore.

Of course, there will always be small sweat shops, but thats true of almost all countries, look at Mexico,Vietnam,Thailand etc they are all accused of the same thing - but as the multinationals increase their production output in China, they bring with them Western labour laws, and, Chinese companies hoping to land these lucritive contracts have to abide by these stipulations, of course old habits are hard to break and every now and again one hears of atrocious labour conditions, but today, China has a growing Unionised labour force and all the major companies abide by acceptable labour laws.

So things are changing, but the chinese work ethic is hard for western cultures who like "free time" to come to terms with. 

The differance is really just cost of labour and the work ethic.
widget2007-08-31 09:29:59