Wives Vs Cycling

Caerus

What happens to the old bikes & parts that you dont take? Im looking for a better 2nd bike for the wife. :)

We had a big clean out a few month ago and gave our old stuff ( including 3 bikes ) to Eddie Thomplinson's development club.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or in my case, why are all the good mtb events on a Saturday when I have to take my son to his swimming lessons.

Like this weekend, 2 fantastic races in the Western Cape, but BOTH are on Sat!

Its not just the wives that complain about too much time and money spent on the bike. I have the same problem with my husband.

Okay, what is with that? Why do children go for swimming lessons these days? Nobody in my family has ever gone for a swimming lesson but suddenly my sister has to take her kids? By the time I was 5 I was swimming in the deep side of the public pool with everybody playing around and over me.

Maybe my big crash in January was actually a blessing in disguise. It was the day that my wife decided she couldn't beat us and decided to join us. She was out having a gentle ride around the hood when I was out time trialing and fell rather badly.

That was the last time she went anywhere near a bike and I have got back into the saddle.Scared the whatits out of her. (Me too but that's another story for another thread.)

Now my sacred time is still MY sacred time. B) My great escape from reality when I disappear into the sunrise and got out riding for several hours. No nagging, no bitchin'. Just the awsome sound of tyres on tar, the wind in my ears and every now and then, the chirping of the birds in the trees. Man I do love cycling. Such a pity we have to share the roads with dumbass motorists that ruin the ambience with their gas guzzling, pollution emmitting metal boxes.

Almost thought you were looking for a second hand wife.

Not just yet, lets see how this one goes. May do a trade in at some time ;)

Okay, what is with that? Why do children go for swimming lessons these days? Nobody in my family has ever gone for a swimming lesson but suddenly my sister has to take her kids? By the time I was 5 I was swimming in the deep side of the public pool with everybody playing around and over me.

Same here , Had my arm bands on and off into the water. But I suppose better safe than sorry.

Is that so you wont have to take the wife?

Not really, although she is almost supportive as can be, but she has NO interest whatsoever in the sport...but the little 19month old Hubber just cant stay away from dad when all geared up and wants to go ride with, so I think the seed has been planted.....

Such a pity we have to share the roads with dumbass motorists that ruin the ambience with their gas guzzling, pollution emmitting metal boxes.

lemme guess, you dont have a car, dont emit any noxious fumes of your own, have a record IQ, and pay road taxes any way?

Ziiiiiiiiiiing! :D

Must say I have a very supportive wife, we hardly fight and she has to date never moaned on the money I spend. I suppose there must be a balance in marriage, she supports me in the things I do and I support her in her interests (even if I hate it).

My wife is generally cool with me cycling, I normally go at the crack of dawn on the weekends (and as she's not a morning person and likes to sleep in, that actually suits her) or after work, so she doesn't really moan about the time away.

And if she does, I just remind her about the weight I've lost particularly as she used to tease me about the extra kg's I was carrying around the middle (but no more! :D )

Only issue now is, a guy I know lost his leg after being hit by a car and she doesn't want me training on the road because of the danger. Which of course means Argus 2011 is going to be a problem... Anyone got any tips on training purely offroad for the Argus?? :blink:

I must be the luckiest oke on the hub. My wife lets me buy the bikes and supports me in my racing. It keeps me sane and she knows that. When it comes to the cost - I just tell it like it is. If its R5k I say its R5k then she knows the truth. Her finding out I lied about the price of a bike part will be may more destructive that whatever I spent. The counterpoint is that when I'm not on the bike - I am home with my wife and kids.

Same here , Had my arm bands on and off into the water. But I suppose better safe than sorry.

But, did you know how to turn on your back and float when falling into the swimming pool at 18 months old? Or turn around and grab the side if close enough. That's why kids take swimming lessons these days. I once saw a kid fall into a pool and he was going nowhere, except down. So that's enough reason to take the kids for swimming lessons.

But, did you know how to turn on your back and float when falling into the swimming pool at 18 months old? Or turn around and grab the side if close enough. That's why kids take swimming lessons these days. I once saw a kid fall into a pool and he was going nowhere, except down. So that's enough reason to take the kids for swimming lessons.

I love your avatar :lol:

lemme guess, you dont have a car, dont emit any noxious fumes of your own, have a record IQ, and pay road taxes any way?

Ziiiiiiiiiiing! :D

Er, that would be to all of the above. But I did enjoy my little moment of Narcisism. :D I do have a car, but I still commute to work regularly. It takes about ten minutes longer by bike because of traffic. So I pay licnce fees, and I guess I do pay road taxes because I pay the odd bit on tax now and then.

Depends on how you define "noxious fumes" of my own. Like everyone else, I do fart from time to time. I would not exactly classify that as noxious fumes. More like Ozone guzzling toxic waste. :( I just wish I could save up all that gas for climbing up butchers hill. That would be handy.

IQ, what, a dumbass like me. I think I have astounded science by being the only person with a sngle digit IQ to have surviced past ten years. If that makes me a geniuus, then I must be one. :D

I love my wife to bits, she has been my wife for the last 18 years, she is the most selfless person I know, to the point that I even feel guilty at times, she let's me buy pretty much anything we can afford within limits, she allows me to train endless hours, last year in October I went on a 9 hour training ride, when I got back she had a warm wholesome meal prepared, laid clothes out on the bed and massaged my legs before she allowed me to sleep for a few hours.

All this whilst she takes care of the kids as well.

The week after I trained for 25 hours and she looked after me like a baby.

If she ever decides to become a taker, I will go to the ends of the earth to make sure she gets what she wants, oh and she is hot too B)