To go Carbon...or not to go

WRIGHTLIGHT

I am looking at buying a new 2011 Ghost Lector 7400 Carbon Full Susser, and was wondering if carbon is the way to go or not.

I weigh 88kg, and mostly ride 40-45km 3-4 times a week, 2 rides are trails and races and the rest around the hood.

Can you use the same bike cleaners/grease/lubes etc

How does carbon compare to Alu and is the R5k extra worth it??

have you done your homework and search for it?

If you did, then tell us what your findings are and we'd give some insight.

BTW, if i had the money and i was doing downhill, I'd buy a downhill carbon bike

Go carbon, the ride is awsome, much more comfortable than alu. I weigh 90kg and have had no problems with the frame.

Personally I would go for one of the GT Marathon carbon bikes.

R5000 extra? No way. I am metal man. I don't drink alcohol free beer. Neither do I eat or drink sugar free chocolate or cola.

When you stack the bike on a series of rock, the R 5000 will be cash waisted.

Anyway, I love my carbon FS.

Go carbon if you can afford it, it does make a big difference.

If it will result in you entering less races/rides (since you have less money), it is not worth it.

Riding your bike is better than having the latest and greatest

I don't mind the TIIINNG sound of stones hitting my alu down-tube from the front tyre ... I'd be more nervous, if that was a hollow THUD of the same stones hitting my carbon down-tube! Reckon you loose more rigidity through the numerous pivot points on a FS, than you gain by going carbon over alu.

If you go carbon, you will need insurrance. Just got myself a Morewood Zula (Alu).

prefer alu on MTB and carbon on roadbike

Make sure your insurance is up to date. Buddy of mine cracked his carbon FS frame (scott) three times. Last one was from a fall. He is moving to a giant ali frame now thanks to his insurance.