MSC Spring Classic - dissapointed

Haga

Maybe its just me. But somewhat dissapointed in the MSC Spring Classic Mtb race at Northern farms today.

Race start was a joke, nobody could really hear whom was supposed to go when.

Then after the race, instead of a Medal you get insulted with a plastic key ring, instead of a medal.

And just to add the final insult, R10 for a coke afterwards.

So lets recap on the value obtained for my R150 late entry fee.

Got a waterbottle, a late start because hardly anyone could hear the Commentator.

One energy sachet & a cup of powerade on the last lap. A Plastic key ring & 2 cups of powerade at the finish.

This really does not constitute value for money any more, for R10 you can go and ride at Northern farms with friends all day, and treat yourself with the remainder R140.

Angry

D

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Add some money for the fox t-shirt (in the shops this in R170 min.) the entrance fee to northern farms(R10) and just other genrelised things (tiolets tent medals coke truck etc) and if you entered online it was R125

Pre-entered (R125) and got a Fox t-shirt which is definitely one of the nicer race shirts I've seen. Also got a water bottle.

You should have bought a beer instead of the coke as it also cost R10. Big%20smile

I agree about the race start. I never knew whether it was my turn to go or not.

On the positive side of things: I didn't have to queue for very long at registration which is amazing considering how many people took part (between 1500 to 2000 I think) and there wasn't even a queue at the bar when I went. The huge tent was also appreciated.

Value ............ well I wouldn't buy a Tshirt for R50 never mind R125.

Sure there was a tent, the race was well marked and well organised (I got to the start early).

On the last lap the water point halfway round the lap had run out of whatever it had by the time I passed on my second lap.

First lap was quite chaotic due to the sheer number of riders - and some arrogant tosshead rode over the back of my foot in the little technical bit when everyone decided to walk it on lap one ...... but he tried to barge past everyone.

YOU, MR IDIOT!! ...... were wearing a red shirt and need to have your eyes tested. Or as one chap said, you've got taxi driver mentality.

......... there, I got that off my chest, but my heel is still sore!
steve2007-09-02 09:03:50

Would love to have pre entered, but unfortunately work commitments meant i only managed at the last minute. To be available to ride.

I can handle most of the issues that surround an event of this magnitude, even the chaos experienced on the frist lap.

I just have a problem with the cheap ass key ring, instead of a medal.

But thats just me.

D

I have to agree with you on the "medal" that's really the sh*ttest "medal" I have ever received glad I enter on line

For the amount of riders they had there it went very well . I agree that the start was a mess but the beer tent was the best I have seen in a while and just that fact makes this race worth every dime , oooh yes and that is a real cool T-Shirt .

The only place I know where you can buy a T-Shirt for R50 is PEP stores and lets be honest , those shirts only last for one wash . Fortunately I was not close to the front of my start group and losing a few minutes on the single track sections did not really cause me to much pain .

My viewpoints. Waterbottle, what waterbottle!? Got the T shirt, very nice indeeed. Start was chaotic. Could not hear anouncements at start/pre race briefing (nothing wrong with sound afterwards when the music was playing) Race itself was nice, not very challenging, exactly what I wanted. Enjoyed it a lot, especialy singletrack sections.

Extremely disapointed with medal (must surely still be  in the dust somewhere at Northern farm (lost it somewhere) Did not use the beertent or other amenities offered (seldom do, at any race, road or Mtb)

For R125.00, not very happy. Pre entered and gave shirt size, did not get  correct size for laaitie (got a x large, instead of small ordered)

Apart from the race start where you could not hear a thing, I think the race was well managed, ok I started right in the front, so had very little traffic, the 2nd lap was abit of a balls up regarding traffic, but...I have had worse other other races. The t-shirt is cool ;) The medal..if you want to call it that...sucks a little but, that's ok. Really enjoyed the race until the 2nd lap where I got 2 punctures, and ran out of tubes and airbombs, shot for the pump Sonic!

Will do the race next year....but with stans in my tyres ;)

I loved it. Was there early so I was just a few cars away from all the happening, not that I stayed. Got to use a super sexy Commencal Meta 4 from Commencal to do the race with. The start was a mess up but it's not the end of the world. Don't care much for medals and the water bottle will be given to some kid someday. The shirt is great quality. I suffered the 2nd lap as I really pushed it the first. Was 8 minutes slower the second lap then the first. Finished with a 2:02.

I got 3 gripes.....

1. Have to agree that the start was chaotic. The organisers should have made it clear upfront that the each "coloured" sticker would start at different times.

2. The amount of litter caused by the energy gels was diabolical. Those that would have needed the energy gel due to "racing" probably would have had their own and not thrown the empty sachet away. Those that didn't need it grabbed because it was free and threw the empty sachets onto the ground.

3. Northern Farm CANNOT handle those numbers in a race environment. I probably lost around 5 minutes having to wait for slower riders at various stages of the course.

Other than that, a great day and if you'd pre-entered a magic T-Shirt.

So Para, how did that Commencal behave ?

Hmm, thanks Mampara for coming to say hi before the start! :)  I didn't see anyone else I know, except for TCS members.

I had no legs yesterday - rode the first lap with Photo Fairy until she left me for dead..  then decided to get some coverage for the TCS kit and fell at the hairpin turn at the start of the second lap - yep, right in front of all the spectators - got a huge bruise on my ass to show for that, as well as various other scrapes and bruises... 

Waited on the other side of the tunnel for a while and rode about half of the second lap with Crux & Chrissie after they came past me, then stopped and waited for LizzyB, we decided just to try and finish, we were both knackered at this stage and it was extremely hot!

Thanks to Sonic and No-one-Knows who rode back to me and Lizzy and brought us Cokes!! 

Didn't get my T-shirt, didn't get a water bottle, still got the red keyring somewhere, but hey, I got to ride my bike with my friends - that's what it's really all about isn't it?

Oh, and did I mention?  That &*%^# Blue Thing threw me off AGAIN??!!!

:))