buyers remorse :blink:

covie

My regrets are mostly on components: saddle bags that spoil the look of the bike, lights that don't fit the tubes, pumps that don't pump. I'm getting to have drawers full of these bits. Maybe I need to find the bikes that go with them instead?

I think i might have just bought a bike that matches my pump on my old bike :D

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to ride a Pinarello... Great bike, absolutely shocking back-up service (when the 3 year old frame cracked). Don't know if that counts, but will never ride a Pinarello again in my life!

BTW, Specialized is the best thing since sliced bread! Going to be very very sad to see the back of mine next week... :(

Let me guess who your dealings was with ... in a PM

With ASG Sports taking care of this now - their back-up service is first class and with a smile!

Ok I didnt intend this to become a "small man syndrome debate" I see valid points from both edge and crack.

Some poeple can afford to buy top of the range as a beginers bike and others will purly buy an expensive steed to show off or becuase their mates have them. Thats just like in any other segment of life.

However My concern with this is, If i ask a chap how do you like your anthem, spez, morewood, santa cruz etc. Do i get a valid opinion or do I get the opinion of some guy who has just paid his life savings on a bike, hates it. But does not want to admit it was a mistake to buy.

I think it would be hard to admit too?

Covie, just noticed your "new" avatar - bwahahaha. I'm not sure, on the Hub, whether its a political or a social statement. Probably deserves a thread of its own but there'd just be another 130 pages of senseless argument. (Much like the whole Hub, actually.)

Covie, just noticed your "new" avatar - bwahahaha. I'm not sure, on the Hub, whether its a political or a social statement. Probably deserves a thread of its own but there'd just be another 130 pages of senseless argument. (Much like the whole Hub, actually.)

Im not sure if its political or social either :D. It was born out of one of these smokers are criminals threads. And the avatar has already been flamed for being a bad influence for kids. But its all in good fun so lets not start another 130 page anti-smoking thread. BTW drawing a ciggy in mspaint can be a biaatch lol

Thankfully I didn't buy my bike - borrowed it permanently from my dad.

But it is true - the rich guy with his wall mount - it's a once off buy and ride whereas we cyclists actually need to maintain our rides, buying spares and replacements when things get broken. If you think about it, you have spent loads more on your steed than what the guy has paid once off on his.

At the end of the day you appreciate your bike more because you have put the Km's in and know how it rides and responds whereas the guy with the flashy bike WILL cause carnage at the first sign of pressure.

I would love to get a carbon ride with SRAM/ Campy groupo (to go with a Bianchi) but right now I am not in that league to need a sub 8Kg bike. So for now, I am happy with my 8 Speed Alu frame Bianchi with 105 groupo and okish wheels. Ultimately it is all to do with the rider and not the bicycle.

Whats wrong with it? :unsure:

But it is true - the rich guy with his wall mount - it's a once off buy and ride whereas we cyclists actually need to maintain our rides, buying spares and replacements when things get broken. If you think about it, you have spent loads more on your steed than what the guy has paid once off on his.

At the end of the day you appreciate your bike more because you have put the Km's in and know how it rides and responds whereas the guy with the flashy bike WILL cause carnage at the first sign of pressure.

I would love to get a carbon ride with SRAM/ Campy groupo (to go with a Bianchi) but right now I am not in that league to need a sub 8Kg bike. So for now, I am happy with my 8 Speed Alu frame Bianchi with 105 groupo and okish wheels. Ultimately it is all to do with the rider and not the bicycle.

Well put :)

Why not start with a cheaper bike then work your way up. If I wanted to buy an expensive bike I could, but rather I work my way up to it.

Bru that statement is just silly, if you can get the best technology available to assist you in a sport, then do it. If I started cycling for the first time ever in my life tomorrow, I would buy the most expensive bike I can afford, why would I go and buy a piece of crap?

i have put about 20 000km onto dad's sora equipped giant ocr3. does everything i need it to, not sure if its gonna make much of difference for a 3hr argus really. but if i got into league racing i might upgrade(or maybe not, if i was fast enough it would be fun to ride amongst all the carbon 9speed bikes).

Bru that statement is just silly, if you can get the best technology available to assist you in a sport, then do it. If I started cycling for the first time ever in my life tomorrow, I would buy the most expensive bike I can afford, why would I go and buy a piece of crap?

Define a piece of crap. One's crap is another's gold. I love my Raleigh while ponces won't even look at them.

if i was fast enough it would be fun to ride amongst all the carbon 9speed bikes...

You are going to pretty lonesome then, most carbon bikes these days are 10 speed ;)

Define a piece of crap. One's crap is another's gold. I love my Raleigh while ponces won't even look at them.

Tis true. All of my bikes have down tube shifters. I seriously get alot of laughs from the "IN" crowd, but I don't really care.

Im not riding a piece of crap - I also need to look at how often I ride it, If I was able to ride everyday then I would(work comes first im afraid), and spending the money would not be a problem or is a problem, but I have three bikes to run( 1 being the wifes). So it not worth it, Well I dont think its justified, but thats only my opinion - Just cause it costs the most doesnt always mean its the best.

That is exactly why I said ... I would buy the most expensive bike I can afford. Everyone's budget will differ. If you can only afford a R3k bike, then buy a R3k bike. But you are not going to buy a R1k piece of junk from Game ... just cause you have to work your way up!

Tis true. All of my bikes have down tube shifters. I seriously get alot of laughs from the "IN" crowd, but I don't really care.

Yay Velo! He who laughs last laughs loudest, 'cos my old down tube shifter sails past most of them. They work so hard to pay off their bikes that they never actually get out to ride them.